Zone Alarm (Freeware-) stopped reporting intrustions..

Despite considerable use of the internet since installing ZA, on the main page it shows not a single attempt at intrusion, whereas in the past there were hundreds/thousands after a while.

We have uninstalled and re-installed but the same situation remains.

One suspects that ZA cant be correctly working/configured if it does not report having blocked intrusions?

It does indicate that it is (alledgely-) working - but at the same time is apparently not finding a single intrusion?

Grateful for any tips...?

ron b

Reply to
Ronald J. Bartle
Loading thread data ...

Are you using a router with firewall? If so, it would be dropping all unsolicited packets (intrusions) and they would never reach your computer.

Reply to
Wilf

Deinstall ZA, it's useless. See

formatting link
And if you think it can block malicious outbound traffic see Microsofts statement at
formatting link
chapter "Myth: Host-Based Firewalls Must Filter Outbound Traffic to be Safe. "

Reply to
Ulf Leichsenring

Thanks for the link, Ulf. I have used Torsten's batch file for shutting down XP services. Scrolling down his page (in English):

formatting link
Other contributions for computer security

Desktop/Personal Firewalls (PFW) - and why you don't need this stuff

Sorry. There is no actual translation available.

Would someone like to translate the same section on the German page into English?

formatting link
ISTM that this discussion is too technical for Babelfish to be of much use.

Ron :)

Reply to
Ron Lopshire

formatting link
the chapter "Myth: Host-Based Firewalls Must Filter Outbound Traffic to

I wonder why microsoft vista firewall has been given the ability to block outgoing applications if its such a myth?

formatting link

Reply to
bassbag

bassbag wrote: : I wonder why microsoft vista firewall has been given the ability to block : outgoing applications if its such a myth?

Probably the same reason why they introduced Active directory even if NT directory was as advanced as NDS. http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:eoHRh0T238AJ:

formatting link
Lars

Reply to
larstr

formatting link
> the chapter "Myth: Host-Based Firewalls Must Filter Outbound Traffic to

Because of popular demand. The point the Technet article makes still stands.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

We already discussed this topic here. Please feel free to use an usenet archive of your choice. If you have questions, I'd be pleased to answer.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

formatting link
>> the chapter "Myth: Host-Based Firewalls Must Filter Outbound Traffic to

Does it?...id say its debateable or hypocritical. me

Reply to
bassbag

formatting link
>>> the chapter "Myth: Host-Based Firewalls Must Filter Outbound

Yes.

You may want to support that opinion with some arguments.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

formatting link
>>>> the chapter "Myth: Host-Based Firewalls Must Filter Outbound

Not really...after all it wasnt me that said outbound application filtering was a waste of time and then implemented it in my next operating system. me

Reply to
bassbag

formatting link
>>>>> the chapter "Myth: Host-Based Firewalls Must Filter Outbound

The Technet article explains why outbound filtering is a waste of time. I fail to see your arguments to prove their reasoning wrong. Whether you consider it hypocrisy that Microsoft implements pointless features into their OS, because their customers demand it, is of no concern here.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Hi,

Click on the Alerts and Logs Tab. This is where you turn alerts on or off. (at least it does on 4.5.594).

charlie R

Reply to
charlie R

As long as the firewall is working, it doesn't much matter whether it shows a count of how many packets are blocked etc.

Reply to
Ken Doebler

Very easy to see on the "Firewall" log of ZA (always empty :-)

Too bad one can't install only the "program" monitor part of ZA (since the router takes care of the "firewall" part anyway)

Reply to
Lars-Erik Østerud

You can block "nice" software that follows the rules. "bad" software should be caught my your a/v software anyway.

So I think it has a pupose. I can block most MS software from "calling home". Only that is worth installing ZA (that's all I use it for :-)

The firwall bit is taken care of by my router...

Reply to
Lars-Erik Østerud

Why don't you just configure your MS software not to do so?

BTW: there is only one single software program, which you cannot configure not to phone home; it's name is: Zone Alarm.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

If it was that easy. Most of the software still try :-)

I guess that would be true for all firewalls, no way to keep them from going passed their own defenses. Do you know what ZA is sending home even when you have told it not to (and does it hide the IP address as you have selected)?

Reply to
Lars-Erik Østerud

Thanks, VB. I must have missed it. I will post again if I have problems/questions.

Ron :)

Reply to
Ron Lopshire

No.

No. Only Zone Labs knows, what's encoded.

Because it's not possible to "hide the IP address", of course it does not.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.