Zone Alarm "Trusted Zone"

My question has likely been answered in an online FAQ or recent newsgroup posting, but I've been unabled to find the right search terms to dig that answer out. My apologies for being a lamentable n00b.

I have a small number of PCs cojoined with a broadband router that is connected to a cable modem, and consquently, the world at large. Pretty standard stuff.

Q1) Should I be telling Zone Alarm that the LAN ips are in a "Trusted Zone"?

I understand that this would not compromise my security from inbound traffic, but what about outbound? Should I automatically trust that any of the other machines in my network will not be attempting to use my machine to sneak out to the internet? Am I radically confused about all of this?

Q2) I've gotten a number of "This firewall has blocked Internet access to 192.168.1.13 (NetBIOS Session) from your computer [TCP Flags: S]. Is this something to worry about?

I suspect this is from a file share that I have on my machine, or possibly one that I'm using on the machine at 192.168.1.13. Additionally, an answer to Q1 would probably answer Q2 as well.

Q3) Does anyone else want to eat an orange sherbet push-up after using Zone Alarm?

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Reply to
Grinder
Loading thread data ...

Taking a moment's reflection, Grinder mused: | | Q1) Should I be telling Zone Alarm that the LAN ips are in a "Trusted | Zone"?

Only if you have file sharing enabled and wish to use it. Have your Trusted Zone set to Medium. This still blocks other ports, but still gives access to your shares. So, your computer is still protected from other types of attachs from your other machines.

| Q2) I've gotten a number of "This firewall has blocked Internet access | to 192.168.1.13 (NetBIOS Session) from your computer [TCP Flags: S]. Is | this something to worry about?

You are correct, and you should not worry.

| Q3) Does anyone else want to eat an orange sherbet push-up after using | Zone Alarm?

No, I changed the skin to Electric Blue. ;-)

Reply to
mhicaoidh

I use trusted Zones with no problem, Adding several different external subnets as well to allow access to my servers. You can always go to

formatting link
and run the shields up to check your vulnerbility. Be careful of the latest ZA update tho.....apparently. J--
formatting link
Safe Computing, Home wired and wireless networking tips. ....You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it, let alone what it was all about. And then your children get to do it all over again...

Reply to
John Loop

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.