Sygate 5.6.2808 vs Win98 SE

I have installed the last free version of Sygate 5.6.2808 on my portable running Win 98 SE (Wi-fi connection).

Once installed, the machine loses connectivity to the outside world. I have tried every 'enable' option on the interface. No avail.

Even disabling Sygate does not help. My brower, my email client, ... cannot see the outside world.

Connectivity returns on uninstall.

(To its credit, Sygate uninstall is clean, leaves no side effects (unlike Zone Alarm, Norton...) )

Any suggestions what to try? e.g. Are there known issues of incompatibility between Sygate and AV programs?

Reply to
occam
Loading thread data ...

So you already have your solution. Make sure you don't have file and printer sharing installed, and you don't need a personal firewall anyway.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

hi occam i tried Segate Personal firewall 5.5 pro for long time here is my openion:

1- if you are using, then your network (lan) will become very very very slow untill Admin unplug your port from the switch. 2- sometimes my computer hangup and if you open your task manager you will find that there is a process called ( (...) don't remember ) well, it takes about 99% of processor time and you can't make 'end process, or end task' because simply "Access denied". by the way i'm sure this process is one of Sygate firewall processes, try to trace ir in the startup files "msconfig". 3- finally, if you intend to send a help message to Symantec, Congratulation there is no reply since they nolonger support "sygate firewall".

My openion Zone Alarm pro is the Best search google for "firewall reviews"

there is some guy called Sapastian"if i spelt his name correctly", he will say ZoneAlarm is a toy not a firewall, well, tell him what is better? and he will shut up. bye

Reply to
luckyboy

By the way new version of ZoneAlarm, don't support 98, 98SE, or me just try to use XP+sp2 itis better see ya, luckyboy

Reply to
luckyboy

I run v5.5 but 5.6 may be the same Look on main page under security therre are three options; block all normal allow all see where its set Casey

Reply to
Casey

That is why Symantec discontinued Sygate.

formatting link
Just too damned easy to uninstall, and we can't have that.

Ron ;)

Reply to
Ron Lopshire

See if you can find the 5.5 version (someone posted a link earlier). I don't think Symantec(sp?) really had a chance to work all of the kinks out of 5.6.

They kept saying that the fixes; enhancements would be in the next release, and AFAIK, there was no next release.

Reply to
DrunkenMister

Download free Sygate v5.5 b 2710

formatting link
and also on

formatting link

Reply to
Casey

Casey

I tried 'normal', I tried 'allow all' AND I tried disabling (stopping) Sygate altogether. I suspect something more fundamental - e.g. conflict with Kaspersky?

Reply to
occam

59cobalt

I have 'printer sharing' disabled, but I need file sharing, as this is my laptop, which connects with 'mother-ship' and exchanges files / updates.

Reply to
occam

formatting link

And that is why I installed it. Anything that's not good enough for Symantec is OK by me (and vice versa) ;-)

Reply to
occam

Thanks for the links. I installed v.5.5 2710 and ... same reaction. Merde alors! (excuse my French). I am slowly resigning to adopting

59cobalt's solution.
Reply to
occam

If you have more than one computer in the network, better have a filtering device between your LAN and the Internet.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Please be more verbose. What and where is this "mothership", and when do you need the ability to exchange files with it?

And please do not e-mail your reply in addition to posting it. I am reading this group.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

He said he had a "portable", so this is probably not an option.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

If you found yourself receiving e-mails in your personal account, it's because some of your earlier headers were directed to you, even when "replying to the newsgroup" was selected.

formatting link
See ya!

Notan

Reply to
Notan

I think, it is an option. And, when his portable is not in the home network, he can stop file sharing.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Next time check MID before trying to be a smartass. I did not set a followup to poster in that posting, so the person who replied to me apparently hit "reply-all" instead of "reply" in his Thunderbird, causing his answer to be posted to the group as well as being e-mailed to me.

In I had explicitly set (and announced) a followup to poster.

Please learn how Usenet works before trying to lecture people on that matter.

F'up2p set.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

While my earlier statement, regarding Germans and manners, still holds, it apparently had nothing to do with you.

You're an asshole, all on your own.

Notan

Reply to
Notan

Look buster, it's not my fault that you made an ass of yourself, because your attempt on being a smartass backfired.

Oh, well. You're just another proof that any address-munging idiot can safely be killfiled right away.

*plonk*

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.