mac address firewall?

Hi,

Is there any firewall that can specify mac address in addition to IP address in the source/destination? Thanks.

-- Regards, Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Yan
Loading thread data ...

What do you want to achieve?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Yes.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

IP address can be easily spoofed, but mac address is harder to spoof. For example, we only want a particular machine to be able to ftp to/from the Interent, but do not want someone unpluging the particular machine from the network, and setting up his PC with that IP address, and ftp to the Internet.

-- Regards, Johnny.

Reply to
Johnny Yan

Thanks, do you have the brand and model number? I prefer a hardware firewall.

-- Regards, Johnny.

Reply to
Johnny Yan

This is an error. It's as easy to spoof MAC addresses as it is to spoof IP addresses.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Any host you plan to filter via mac address would have to be in the same broadcast domain as the internal fire wall port. (same subnet) Else the mac address will be that of the router which is. You may want to look at a FTP proxy to which the privileged internal host must authenticate to.

Reply to
columbotrek

Netfilter (the packet filter of the Linux kernel) can do that. However, as Volker already told you, if you believe that MAC addresses are any harder to spoof than IP-Addresses you are mistaken.

Virtually every firewall is implemented in software.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

If it's so easy then why do some virus writers get caught when they are stupid enough to upload the virus from their own PC?

Reply to
Garrot

This has nothing to do with MAC addresses.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Actually it is easier My domestic d-link firewall/router has option to clone a MAC address - identify itself as someone else. Takes less than one minute to set up. Many ADSL services are specific to a MAC address, so when you change hardware you do not have to reconfigure your account.

It would take some work to figure out which MAC address to clone, but that is a separate issue.

Reply to
Stuart Miller

Johnny Yan wrote: : IP address can be easily spoofed, but mac address is harder to spoof. For : example, we only want a particular machine to be able to ftp to/from the : Interent, but do not want someone unpluging the particular machine from the : network, and setting up his PC with that IP address, and ftp to the : Internet.

Both ip address and mac address can be spoofed. Try rather implementing a 802.1x based solution. Most managed switches of today support it and you'll also need some Radius server and certificates. I bit more complicated, but much more secure.

Lars

Reply to
larstr

Yes Download free Sygate v5.5 b 2710

formatting link
and also on

formatting link

Reply to
Casey

This is a lousy host-based packet filter, not a firewall.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ummm, is this supposed to be a trick question?

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

You should not use it then!!

Reply to
Casey

And you should not recommend it. Someone might take your advise serious, then messes up his computer with this craptastic software, opening certain remote security vulnerabilities in first place.

Anyway, it should be obvious and has been discussed here that MAC addresses are pretty useless as identification criteria.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Nobody should use it, as it has serious design flaws.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

I remember a case some years back where the virus writer was traced to his PC in his home via the IP and MAC address. I beleive it was in the Philipines. Just saying if it is so easy to do why was he caught?

formatting link
Add Microsoft's new $250,000 bounty into the mix and at first glance, you'd think we're right on track. Not a chance! There are simply too many ways to be anonymous on the Internet, and more so today than ever before. You don't even need to spoof IP addresses these days; there are too many ways to have perfect stealth. Imagine you're a virus writer and need a launchpad for your evilw ork. Just start with an untraceable MAC address on a borrowed IP address, linked into a wireless router down the street which has access logging disabled, and then you tunnel through countless proxies and compromised zombies until you reach the desired launch point. Someone who does not wish to be caught (and knows what they're doing), cannot be caught. With wireless, it become a physical battle between a million victims and one guy walking down the street.

Reply to
Garrot

Then tell them what to use. I just use the XP firewall and a router. That's good enough for me.

Reply to
Garrot

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.