Windows Firewall

I have Windows XP and want to set up Windows Firewall. In Control Panel/Security Center I click on Windows Firewall. It tells me < Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service? >

I click and get < Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Service >

Where do I go from here? Advice greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Mike Brayshaw
Loading thread data ...

Try this:

Start => Run => Type netsh winsock reset then click ok. Restart your computer then check windows firewall again.

Reply to
Sir_George

(2nd post for clarification)

Try this:

Start => Run => Type "netsh winsock reset" (without the quotes) then click ok. Restart your computer then check windows firewall again.

Reply to
Sir_George

Configuring the service via control panel, Services.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Thanks, but ... My Control Panel doesn't list "Services" - but I have found it within "Administrative Tools". Under the General tab I select "Windows Firewall\\Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)". Startup type is shown as Automatic. Clicking produces "Could not start "Windows Firewall\\Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer" and "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start". (This shows Path to executable as C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\svchost.exe -k netsvcs). Under the Dependencies tab nothing shows but I get a message "WBEM error features not available. Upgrade WMI to a newer build". I hope I'm not missing something vital along the way!

Reply to
Mike Brayshaw

Which SP is installed? Did you install all the latest hotfixes?

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

SP2 (build 2600) and yes, all hotfixes are up to date.

Reply to
Mike Brayshaw

Any reason you haven't tried my suggestion?

I believe you will find it fixes the problem, but no guarantees.

Reply to
Sir_George

- I did try it, but unfortunately with no success. I certainly intended to acknowledge, but must have got distracted. Apologies.

Reply to
Mike Brayshaw

Well, it seems like your WMI installation or database is broken (don't worry, this actually happens from time to time).

Collected from various KB articles, repairing WMI is a bit non-trivial but straight-forward. I've already made a shell script for that:

net stop winmgmt rd /s /q %systemroot%\\system32\\wbem\\Repository rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection WBEM 132 %windir%\\inf\\wbemoc.inf net start winmgmt for /r %%i in (%systemroot%\\system32\\wbem\\*.dll) do regsvr32 /s "%%i" for /r %%i in (%systemroot%\\system32\\wbem\\*.exe) do "%%i" /regserver winmgmt /clearadap winmgmt /kill winmgmt /unregserver winmgmt /regserver winmgmt /resyncperf

(It might be necessary to insert the Windows installation CD).

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Mike Brayshaw wrote: [Windoze]

Nice, the 2600 version of Windoze ;-)

VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Reply to
Mike Brayshaw

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.