windows firewall

Can someone help? I'm running XP home SP2 and when I try to access Windows Firewall, I get the following message:

Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings.

I've been running SP2 for quite some time. At one time I was able to check my firewall settings, but don't know how long it's not been working.

TIA jst

Reply to
jst2swt4
Loading thread data ...

It sounds to me like the XP FW has been knocked out of the box by malware.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Reply to
jst2swt4

You could disconnect from the Internet and stop and start the FW service and see if the clears your problem.

There is a command that you can enter at the Run Box to access XP FW settings. I don't remember what that command is you'll have to look it up using Google.

Now, I am not saying 100% that malware has taken it out, but something like that is just not going to happen for no reason. You might want to search Google for malware that will disable the XP FW or parts of it and how to remove it.

If push comes to shove, you can do an upgrade/install over the top of the existing XP O/S that will not destroy anything but lay the O/S back down leaving everything intact to see if that corrects the problem. You'll have to apply any SP and all updates again if you do it.

If the machine has a direct connection to the modem, then you should try to secure the XP O/S harden it to attack as much as possible. If the O/S is not secure, then nothing running with the O/S is secure.

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I saw a reply to you in another NG, but, just in case you don't see it:

formatting link
Be careful in soliciting help in NG's, particularly where OS issues are concerned. Look for expert advice.

Reply to
optikl

Reply to
jst2swt4

That website fixed my problem completely.... thank you so much!!!!!

Reply to
jst2swt4

Very strange.

formatting link
is a page about this topic. Does this work?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I am glad you got a fix for your problem. But after seeing this, I for one now question the abilities of the XP FW, particularly if you have been running for awhile and this started happening out of nowhere.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Don't thank me. Thank the Microsoft MVP network.

Reply to
optikl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.