UPnP ... continuous traffic?

When I enable UPnP on my system, and the SSDP Discovery Service, I seem to get continuous traffic across my LAN, and indication (via the system tray icon) of continuous traffic on the WAN

When I turn off these services, and just connect to the router via LAN, instead of "internet gateway", then this traffic ceases (in the main) unless I am actually doing something that is accessing the Internet

Is there something about UPnP that would explain this apparent continuous traffic?

I have both a firewalled router (Draytek 2500) and Sygate software firewall in use. There are no additional alerts when UPnP is on.

Reply to
Tx2
Loading thread data ...

Windows XP SP2 system

:-/

Reply to
Tx2

Tx2 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

You can install a packet sniffer like Ethereal on the machine and post back your findings. ;-)

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Now, it'd be really useful if i could a) get it to work b) knew how to set it up

It firstly gives me an error about no disk in drive A (from when i very first fired it up) and then even though I can get to an interface of sorts, i can't seem to do anything with it, only ever getting a "

formatting link
" installation error message.

I've given it up as a bad idea ... thanks anyway.

Reply to
Tx2

I suggest doing an RTFM.

Ethereal works just fine on win32.

greg

Reply to
Greg Hennessy

machine and

knew how to

when i

an interface

getting a "

It's a bad idea? An idiot can install Ethereal and get it to work.

Here is a list of free packet sniffers you can choose from and maybe one will work for you. ;-)

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Absolutely ... But i have neither the time, nor the inclination.

I'm firewalled up to the eyeballs, have one of the best AV utilities on the market, have more spyware protection than a spyware protected thing, and so, if there isn't an immediate and obvious answer, at this present time, i'm not arsed about finding it out

;-)

I don't doubt it.

Reply to
Tx2

Oh, so you want someone to tell you what's happening on your own network instead of you finding out for yourself.

Yeah, you can be everything up the eyeballs and it doesn't mean anything and it can all be defeated easily. But how would you know, since you didn't take the time to find out by using a simple packet sniffer.

no doubt ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Yes, if it is something obvious connected with uPnP, I would hope they could ... if it's not, and i need to look into the matter, I will, when i can.

FFS, don't make an argument out of an innocent comment! I thanked you for your time on the matter, don't get all stressy about it. I'll come back to it some other time.

Reply to
Tx2

In Message-ID: posted on Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:28:42 -0000, Tx2 wrote: Begin

Not just any cunt, but the exalted Dr "D" of Decatur, Il.

19 minutes before the illini idiot posted a continuation of his ego strut, he indicated that he had killfiled you by his nimble fingered typing of the line: . Seems he either can't configure his own system to ignore a poster, or perhaps he just spews empty promises to do as much.

....of course he has me permanently killfiled, or so he said, once upon a time...

Reply to
Bart Bailey

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 08:08:22 -0000, Tx2 spoketh

The nature of UPnP is to listen for and search for UPnP devices. In addition, when such a device is found, there may be additional communication between the UPnP devices as well. As a consequence, you'll see an increase in traffic on devices with UPnP enabled.

Unless you have any special reason to have UPnP enabled, just disable it and leave it as it is.

UPnP configurable NAT routers are a security nightmare in the waiting. Just imagine if you got a virus which could "talk" to your NAT router using UPnP and reconfigure it to allow people in...

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

Obviously I'm not an idiot then ... i installed it, but it refused to work, giving me two 'errors' straight out the box, which I've already explained. I'll deal with it some other time - it's no big deal, don't make it one.

Reply to
Tx2

You should follow your own advice and don't put your draws in a bind with a couple of days old post about it. ;-)

It's not my fault you can't get it to ..........

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I didn't see your original post. However, I do reserve the right to reply, whenever i see fit. I'd hate you to think i was being discourteous in not replying. Unless you prefer to be ignored?

I didn't say it was. Like i said, I thanked you for your response, you are the one who upped the ante my friend.

Reply to
Tx2

What ante are you talking about? I had forgotten about you and your little problem. You can do me a favor and ignore me. I would appricate it. I up the ante man oh man. LOL

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Your reference to "idiot", your confrontational response.

Your belittlement ...

Seems you've saved me the bother.

Oh, how I love usenet. Ask a question, some cunt always has to start a fight.

Reply to
Tx2

Oh, now it's becoming *clear*. I have offended a woman with the I am not dumb I am smart routine.

Good luck to you with your problem and keep the nick name so I won't make the mistake again of trying to help someone who can't be helped.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

oh do f*ck off acting like a child. 'Cos I say I don't have the time or inclination to sort out the issue at this present time, you got all

*unnecessarily* hostile. Strengthens my previous post AFAIC ...

I thought I was plonked? Let me make absolutely sure I won't cross your path again then.

*plonk*
Reply to
Tx2
[...]

Thanks for the explanation, it was as i suspected, but not knowing (or pretending to know) everything, I wanted 'reassurance'.

I'll turn it [uPnP] off

Reply to
Tx2

Bart Bailey wrote in news:41ca962c.872461 @bart.spawar.mil:

I ignore what I want to *clown* and I post becuase you humor me.

And what's you involvement in this Bart you pot head? It does seem like two

*nuts* have teamed together. One clown that continues to post about nothing and then there is *you*. I know don't tell me Bart you're *high* as usual as indicated by the marijuana plant you post with as your BS symbol. You should lace it with some Prozac and go lay down. You're a nut and Posty the *Clown* is right there with you.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.