Sygate Firewall

I have used Sygate as my firewall for a long long time with no problems up to a few days ago, when i noticed that the Download arrow on the system tray was lit all the time, the upload arrow only lit up when uploading in the normal way. The firewall seems to be working fine exept for this download arrow problem. Can somebody tell me what is causing this , and how can I get this indication to work properly. Thanks Pete

Reply to
blot
Loading thread data ...

Does netstat or TCPView tell you anything out of the ordinary?

Reply to
G

Does this firewall program have an auto-update function? If so, it is a long-dead product and the server that provided updates (which are also probably extremely old) was shut down or reassigned.

In case you don't know, Symantec acquired Sygate back in Aug 2005 and then let it die (it was a rather stale firewall product already at that time).

You could read its manual or included help. They don't mention what the tray icon means when it contains a down-arrow overlay? If the included help files don't describe that condition and if you cannot find the manual, there is an online copy of the manual at:

formatting link
From there, it describes the tray icon symbols at:

formatting link
My guess is that you have a large download in progress. So what programs do you have running that have an auto-update feature? How do you have Windows Update configured on your host? Does it notify only (but not download and not install)? That is the recommended setting unless you want to relinquish the state of your host to whatever Microsoft wants to install at any time.

You could use SysInternals' TCPview to see what are the current connections to your host.

Reply to
VanguardLH

thanks for the Replys

Reply to
blot

The two Sygate arrows in the tray are monitors for packet flow. UP arrow indicates outgoing packets Down arrow indicates incoming packets Red arrow indicates Blocked packets Green arrow indicates Allowed-to-Pass packets These details are located at the toolbar Help button. Find therein: 'Shortcut to the Software-the System Tray Icon' This info is from my Sygate Pro 5.5 I have been using Sygate for many many years and it is an outstanding firewall (since v4) Someone above stated it is old and obsolete because you cannot d/l sig. updates. The firewall part of Sygate provides everything need in a firewall (assuming the user knows how to set it up). When anyone is concerned with viruses/trojans, they should run a separate anti virus/trojan program. Suggestion: With the down arrow lit, disconnect from internet. If the down arrow goes out, your Sygate program is probably o.k. If the arrow stays lit, you probably need to uninstall Sygate and reinstall it. Let us know how you come out. Casey

Reply to
Casey

I did as you suggested casey,Uninstall and Reinstall. Everthing now as it should be. Thanks to all Pete

Reply to
blot

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.