Wireless Supression

Does anyone know of a way to suppress the wireless card when a wired connection is enabled?

I know there are 3rd party products that do this, but I am looking for a way to manipulate windows via GPO or registry setting to do this.

The issue is we do not want users connected via wired connection to the trusted network, and able to jump on the guest access at the same time, thereby circumventing the firewall.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
nickjoc
Loading thread data ...

nickjoc hath wroth:

Unplug it perhaps? It's automatic. See:

Right click on the icon for the wireless device in the system tray and select "disable".

Won't happen unless they manually mess with the route metric. Ethernet takes priority over wireless and sets the route metric accordingly.

I don't see how connecting via wireless as a guest is going to circumvent a firewall. It doesn't sound like the firewall is isolating the inside LAN very well. Let me guess... you have the guest wireless access point plugged directly into the inside LAN which bypasses the firewall? That's not a very good idea. Move it to outside the firewall, with it's own router and routeable IP, and they'll be totally isolated. You can also get wireless routers that have "zones" that do the same thing (i.e. Sonicwall).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.