no internet connection

I have recently bought a new computer with WinXP-Pro. I also bought a USB Netgear MA111 so that I could have this PC as wireless.

I already have a PC with a wireless router, though the connection is using the LAN. This is working fine and i can access the net.

I have followed the installation guide to install the MA111. I can see the icon in the system tray and also see the wireless (windows) icon. The encryption at this stage is disabled. Both the Router and the USB MA111 can see each other.

Without any further changes, I click on "internet" and the browser open but says cannot find server etc. I have checked the tools, internet options..and the setting is set for NO dial up and detect automatic lan.

What else do I have to do to connect my new pC to the internet ?

All help appreciated

Reply to
Rado
Loading thread data ...

"Rado" wrote in news:43935cce$0$82649$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net:

You have some kind of mis-configuration going on with the wireless NIC on the machine. As you'll see when you enter IPconfig /all at the Command Prompt, the machine doesn't have an IP that's going to allow the machine to access the Internet. It doesn't have one or the IP starts with 169 which are unlike a machine that has a good connection to the Internet when you enter IPconfig /all.

What that mis-configuration is or the wireless NIC simply is defective you'll have to sort out. You can start by contacting the wireless NIC's tech support.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.