restrict PC traffic speed on the lan

Cisco 2651XM router I'm looking for a sample config or help which would enable me to restrict the traffic speed of a particular PC on the lan connected to my router. My lan comprises several PC's on 172.16.1.xx, which connects to f0/0, and internet access for the whole lan is via a wic-adsl card in the router. I did a bit of reading on google about this but found it confusing. I understand I have to set up an access list but as a beginner I'm not sure where to start. I use SDM too but that only seems to cater for traffic going out of the router (unless I'm mistaken). What I'd ideally like to do is be able to pick one machine on the lan (eg PC 172.16.1.15) and restrict the speed of all traffic to and from it to say 50Kb/sec. Is that possible? Thanks for any pointers.

Reply to
tg
Loading thread data ...

I should have been clearer: I mean to restrict the traffic speed of 172.16.1.15 to the internet...

Reply to
tg

Yes, that's right. By the time the traffic has come down the wire and arrived at your router, it's already used your bandwidth up. There are certain ways you can convince an endpoint that it can't have the bandwidth it's asking for, but I'm not sure if these are implemented by Cisco routers. Someone will be along soon to enlighten us :-)

Reply to
alexd

Traffic leaving the router can be limited with a QoS policy. It may be difficult to restrict the traffic unless you limit traffic leaving interface FastEternet0/0 towards the host 172.16.1.15. Limiting outbound traffic is possible but may not yield much of a result when this host is downloding from the Internet. In that case, traffic should be limited from the Internet when it is leaving the router to go to 172.16.1.15. This does not have any limitation on the intra-network traffic between this host and other host computers on the inside of the network. This propsed solution contains what would be entered into configuration mode in the command line interface. I cannot help you use the SDM and will encourage you to learn how to manage your router from the command line.

ip access-list extended host15 remark Traffic sent to 172.16.1.15 permit ip any host 172.16.1.15 ! class-map match-all class15 description Access-list of traffic to 172.16.1.15 match access-group name host15 ! policy-map bandwidthlimit class class15 shape peak 50000 ! interface FastEthernet0/0 service-policy output bandwidthlimit

----- Scott Perry Indianapolis, IN

-----

Reply to
Scott Perry

Scott thanks for your response and sorry for my delay in following up. The config you gave did throttle the 172.16.1.15 machine's internet speed without affecting any other pc on the lan. Your commands worked great so thanks very much for your help.

Reply to
tg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.