Resolution: Resetting box via hardware reset

Here is the problem or goal:

-- Cannot Manage the NetScreen

-- Cannot login to the NetScreen

-- User has lost/forgotten password

-- Failed to Login to device

-- Reset device back to factory defaults

-- Perform a hardware reset

"Asset Recovery" Feature: System IP is 192.168.1.1 after device is reset to factory defaults. For ScreenOS 4.0.0, VLAN1 IP is set to 192.168.1.1.

WARNING! This will clear the complete configuration of the NetScreen device.

Use a pin, and push the button within the reset hole and hold it down for at least four to six seconds. The status LED will start to blink amber once per second. Continue to hold the button down, and wait for the status LED to turn blinking green before releasing the button.

Wait one-half to two seconds before pressing down on the button again, and then hold it down for at least four to six seconds. Wait for the status LED to turn red, then eventually will turn to blinking green. At this point, you can release the pin from the reset hole.

Note: This procedure is applicable only to the NetScreen-5XP, NetScreen-25, NetScreen-50, NetScreen-500, and NetScreen-5200.

Reply to
Concealed Identity
Loading thread data ...

Using the CLI and login using the serial number as the username and the password.

Your problem based on what you have done (unset all, save, reset) is correct except for the 'save' part. When you unset all, you only clear what's in flash not the running config. So when you type in save, your saving the config that is in resident memory back to flash, thus defeating your unset all. So when asked to save, say no.

*I'm not going to be responsible for a lost config, so if you use this info, you are on your own.*
Reply to
Munpe Q

Hello!

How do I reset the grey Netscreen-5 with OS 2.5.0r2?

I tried unset all, save, reset

It resets but all the old config is there and I still can't reach it with browser.

Reply to
Arnfiin Haraldsen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.