netscreen25: saving config to compact flash card hangs my CLI session

I'm trying to save the current config of a netscreen 25 to a compact flash card. So first I tried a 512 MB compact flash card (made by Kingston) into the CF slot on the front of the netscreen, logged into the CLI and type the command:

ns25-> save config to slot Config Save config to pccard in slot1 - Config

It appears to hang at this point; I can't type any more, despite waiting again. Eventually I removed the card and checked it on my PC with a USB card reader - the desired file wasn't anywhere to be found. Then I tried the same all over with an older 32MB CF card - same problem.

Is there some requirement I don't know about? Such as formatting the CF card a certain way? Anyone managed to do this successfully?

thanks alex

Reply to
Alex Hunsley
Loading thread data ...

First thing to note, NetScreen / Juniper only reports to have successfully tested the SanDisk 96 and 512, but reports that it 'should' recognize a variety of sizes, so says TFM. However, I don't even bother with the flash card because I personally don't care about using it, and I understand the capability, but I just don't even bother.

Using TFTP the config and the software can be uploaded and downloaded to and from flash without affecting the running config. And Triffid is correct, the firewall should recognize, and you should see a log entry. So that's your first clue is to check the Event log.

Reply to
Munpe Q

No, should be plug'n'play. Is the NS25 detecting the CF card? The led should come on when the card is inserted, and flash during r/w activity.

Reply to
Triffid

I've used it a few times in a pinch, and it worked fine - albeit on bigger boxes running newer ScreenOS versions. I don't recall the details of whatever CF cards may have been handy at the time, but I don't think they were the ones mentioned in TFM.

I too find TFTP more convenient, particularly since I rarely have physical access to the box - but I have filed an RFE asking for scp support.

Reply to
Triffid

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.