Netscreen 100 can't connect

Hello people

I've got a horrible problem and I think it may be hardware related.

I've been given two Netscreen 100 firewalls (the company that gave them to me was upgrading and they were going to throw them away).

Spec of the Netscreens are;

HW Version 3110(0)-(11) Image: ns100 3.0.3r5 and HW Version: 3110 Image: ns10ns100 3.0.1r1.0

The first netscreen is fine. did an unset all, then a reset, set my PC to 192.168.1.2 and pointed my browser at 192.168.1.1, logged in as netscreen/netscreen, and I got a "Welcome to Netscreen-100" config window

For the second netscreen...

I attached a console cable to the console port (obviously!) and luckily the netscreen root password was left at default. I did an unset all, reset, without resaving the settings, and everything went back to the factory default.

I then set my PC to 192.168.1.2 and tried connecting via IE to

192.168.1.1. This refused to connect.

The firmware image on this second netscreen is older than the first. Do I need some other way to connect to the netscreen to configure it?

Any help appreciated

Ken Z

Reply to
Ken Z
Loading thread data ...

Perhaps the older firmware image uses a different default manage ip?

You have console access, so you can do 'get config' and set your PC accordingly, or use the console to set it up the same as one that works.

If they'd been given to me, I'd buy support in order to obtain the latest firmware image (4.0.0r13).

Triffid

Reply to
Triffid

Log in to the console using the serial number as the username and the password. That does an actual factory reset which is different than an unset all.

Then do a tftp update from the command line using the same firmware as the other box. (You can get that from the folks that gave you them, right?)

Of course 4.0 firmware would be nicer, as mentioned by the other fellow.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

No, it won't. If your hardware support is non-current you should consider it over.

Interrupt the boot sequence from the serial port and tftp a new firmware onto the box, perferrably the same version as the other unit you have.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

russ,

thanks for the reply. I've already tried with the serial number - it lets me log on, but I just get a console longon prompt - no "Lost Password Reset" message.

These netscreens are pretty old, and the people who gave me them don't know anything about them - they're new admin guys who don't know about netscreens and decided to upgrade to Checkpoint firewall-1

I don't want to purchase software maintenance only to find that the box has a hardware fault - will software maintenance cover faulty hardware?

Regards

Ken Z

Reply to
Ken Z

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.