replacing my 5 year old Sonicwall SOHO

Would like list of candiates

new features I would like to have

built in wireless G with decnt security

more than 15 internal LAN IP's ( so many things today have IP's and are networked ) Sonicwall complains after 10 internal IP's try to use it as the gateway to the WAN

I would like to use a remote VPN software on my laptop to access my home LAN while I travel

Reply to
Steven Toney
Loading thread data ...

bump

Reply to
Steven Toney

why no responses??

Reply to
Steven Toney

I love WatchGuard units, but their smaller units are also internal IP limited. If I had to pick one single source for Firewalls it would be watchguard.

If you want to go cheap, and don't want all the firewall features, get a DFL-700 (about $300) and it has no limits and many of the low end firewalls (real firewall) features - includes a real LAN and real DMZ network.

Reply to
Leythos

Thanks

it's for home use

If I turn on all the IP using device inside at the movement -- I have about

12-13 of them -- the old sonicwall complains that I've exceed by license for IP when I do this

I'm seriously considering the firebox X15w for my new box -- it's about $700 or so -- this price does not bother me...

I would like the wireless feature set

I also want to access my home network from the road -- So I want to use a VPN client software on my laptop to connect to the device back home and then access my network devices -

thoughts on the firebox VPN client software -- easy to setup and use

I have syslog service collect traffic info from the sonicwall and will probably continue this with it's replacement...

Reply to
Steven Toney

I've not bought the small units, only the 7xx series and above, and they come with a PPTP Server service, so you can PPTP into the firewall and set rules for access via an authenticated user account.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.