how to have sonicwall as second router

Does anyone know how i can make my sonicwall device as the second device behind another router? i will be testing this to try and make a linksys WRT54GS as the first router to use its parental controls and have the my sonicwall TZ150 as the second router. So each computer will connect to a hub, then to the sonicwall and then to the linksys. So do i connect from the hub to sonicwall wan port then to linksys lan port? what i will be doing is using the IPS and Gateway AV protection etc from the sonicwall to protect the network, but using the parental control from the linksys. I also would try enabling CFS in the sonicwall since both can be combined to work even better i would guess.

Reply to
Joe
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for the message. What the problem is here is that I'm not sure about connect from hub to wan p*rn on sonicwall then lan from sonicwall to lan on linksys. then making the ip in sonicwall 192.168.1.something since the sonicwall default ip is 168.168. so i am not sure if that will work. also i am not sure if the sonicwall IPS and Gateway AV and CFS would still work or not. I know in the past I connected my belkin wireless router which has parental control, i connected it to the network and didn't have to change anything, it just worked fine. so i was hoping all i have to do is just connect hub to wan on sonic then lan on sonic to lan on linksys and everything just work. only thing is i dunno how to connect ot the sonicwall unless i changed the ip of it first before unhooking it now.

Reply to
Joe

i have this link already printed out for me. umm, i also connected the linksys to the sonicwall, but got no parental control or anything from the linksys. so that was weird cus with my belkin all i had to do was plug it in, everything worked. wan from belkin to hub then hub to sonicwall. i connected linksys same way and nothing worked. linksys said cus the linksys has no double natting whatever that is.

Reply to
Joe

Joe wrote in news:20050227231214.052$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newsreader.com:

You can connect the routers together based on the info in the link. It doesn't matter what kind of router and what brand as the principle is the same for connecting the routers using this method, making the second router a switch. That's one way to do it. I turned my BEFW11S4 into a wire/wireless AP switch and plugged into my WatchGuard. All the machines could access the internet through the WG and all machines wire or wireless could share resources no matter what router it was plugged into. There may be some other ways to connect the two routers like using the UPlINK port on the router, but I have never used that method.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

This whole solution is ridiculous. What exactly are you trying to do in the first place?

Reply to
TechnoPimp

I don't know what double NAT-ing is either. If Linksys indicates that what you're trying to do is not going to work

If you followed the link above, then the second router is only going to be a switch and all the features may be out the window at that point. And if you did it to the Linksys, then it's a wire/wireless switch AP.

formatting link
This is just my take on it. I don't understand how people get themselves into trying to combine features from two routers into a single solution. Maybe, your best solution is to get a gateway FW/router that has all the features you're looking for and turn that Linksys router into a switch and for get about it.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I don't know what double NAT-ing is either. If Linksys indicates that what you're trying to do is not going to work, then it's not going to work.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Double NAT'ing is the same as two NAT routers in series - as long as they both have different LAN IP segments it works fine. The second routers WAN IP address should be a fixed IP in the first routers LAN segment.

Typically this also means that you can only forward one public IP to the second routers LAN since they typically only support one public IP on the WAN ports.

Reply to
Leythos

One time I was running my belkin 802.11g router as the only router in my network and it was default dhcp etc. 192.168.2.1 was the ip of belkin routers. i disconnected it, connected my sonicwall, plugged back in my belkin without making any changes and the belkin worked fine. i went from wan port on belkin to hub, then pc to lan port on belkin. hub to sonicwall lan port of course. everything worked behind the belkin fine and even the parental control worked. i didn't have to do anything.

then i connected the linksys WRTG54s in the same way and nothing worked. the linksys was second router behind the sonicwall. i wanted to use the linksys parental control.

now what i want to do as a *test* so i can learn and see if it works is have the linksys one as first router and sonicwall as second. the linksys parental control will be used and the services on the sonicwall would be used too. i can try just connecting it and see and then changing the sonicwall ip to the same subnet as the linksys i know, i just wanted to ask in here and see if anyone knows if the sonicwall gateway av and so on would cover everything going through it, i say yes because they cover lan and wan traffic. i also am curious of the log/report information would be tracked still as well and my guess is probably because everything is going through the wan port still etc.

Reply to
Joe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.