Remote access to SOHO

I want to set up my home network so that I can remote in from my laptop wherever I happen to be. Simple so far, but the router I have at home (Linksys) is limited to letting me remote through a configured port to a specific pc in the LAN. Obviously the internal PC is then responsible for security. In principle, anyone can connect to my router from the outside and attack the pc all day. Ideally what I'd like to do is configure a router/firewall to allow a secured vpn or ssl connection to my LAN. In other words, I want a router that will provide some security requirements before it even passes the connection on. I know next to nothing about this whole subset of networking, so I'm just trying to get an indication of how to begin, what's possible, etc. Any info to get me started would be appreciated.

Reply to
Barfy the Wonder Camel
Loading thread data ...

Look into Sonicwall firewalls and VPN - works for me.

Reply to
Rick

Thanks, that's just the poke-with-a-stick that I needed to get started.

Reply to
Barfy the Wonder Camel

Actually, once I got started, I quickly discovered the dlink DIR-330 which (at least on paper) appears to do exactly what I want, for not much money.

Reply to
Barfy the Wonder Camel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.