Problems with Norton firewall settings

A friend of mine has a desktop computer with WinXPpro and Norton Protection Center with antivirus and some firewall built in. Recently he bought a laptop with VistaPremium installed on it and now he would like to use a printer which is connected to the desktop computer. The connection between both computers goes through a wifi modem/router. The desktop is wired to the router and the laptop uses wifi. I can see the laptop in the View Workgroup Computers but I cannot see the desktop machine from the laptop so I can't get to the printer. From the laptop's Network window I can only see the icon of the laptop and when I get to Network and Sharing Center I can only see the laptop connected to the router and further to the Internet and that's it. My guess is the inbound firewall from Norton product is not allowing the connection. But there is no way or at least I don't know of any to change its settings. My friend doesn't want to have the access from the desktop computer to the laptop but only the other way round just to get to the printer. Does anyone know what's the solution to this problem? yaro

Reply to
yaro137
Loading thread data ...

I have him get a wire printserver and plug it into a LAN port on the router. The wired and wireless machines can use the printer, without the need of accessing one or the other computer. Of course the software for the printserver that should be installed on both computers should be Vista and XP compatible.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote: [Norton InSecurity]

Yes. Remove it. If this does not work (common with this stuff), flatten and rebuild.

Hopefully, removing will work.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

As far as I know it's not that easy to remove Norton products from your system. Besides my friend paid for that software so he wouldn't like to just get rid of it. I know that buying another printer with a network interface would solve the problem however, there must be a way to use the one he already has. yaro

Reply to
yaro137

The retail version of Norton can play havoc with your pc. Uninstall it using Norton's own uninstall tool

formatting link
get a refund :) As suggested on the site, you may wish to print out the directions before proceeding.

If this doesn't work use this:

formatting link
While Norton's removal tool usually gets the job done, you may also want to go to:
formatting link
download a copy of winsockxpfix just in case. Rarely, the removal of NIS breaks the networking components in XP to the point where internet access is impossible. This little utility will fix it back up.

Good luck :)

Reply to
Kayman

Because he payed for pain, of course he doesn't want to miss the pain he payed for. Aha. I understand.

Maybe you want to tell me the address of your friend, so I could offer a small selection of lashes, too?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

The best thing I did was to take the advice of people in this group and uninstall Norton Internet Security from my computer. A host of problems went away.

David A.

Reply to
David Azose

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.