How do I find the firewall on my computer, to disable it and install HP printer?

I'm setting up an HP All-In-One Photosmart 3210 printer on a network in a small office. Three PCs are able to see and use the printer just fine. The fourth PC is not able to install it, because the installation can't see the printer on the network. (All four computers are running fully-patched Windows XP Professional SP2.)

When I try to install the printer on this PC, I get an "Issues Stopping Installation" dialog which lists four issues: "Symantec Settings Manager: Firewall", "Symantec Network Drivers Service: Firewall", "Symantec Event Manager: Firewall", and "Symantec Core LC: Firewall". The description for all four tells me that I have firewall software on my computer that I need to disable before the installation will be able to detect the printer.

Problem is, I don't *have* a firewall on this computer. The only Symantec software I have installed is Norton Antivirus 2006, and that doesn't come with a firewall. Norton Protection Center doesn't list a firewall as being available. The built-in Windows Firewall is turned off; even if I turn it on, there's no other firewall that complains about any conflict. I see no processes or services running that would seem to indicate any kind of a firewall.

The printer is being assigned an IP address on the network. I can ping that IP address from this computer, but when I point the HP printer installation at that address for the printer, it can't see anything.

How do I figure out what firewall the HP installer thinks is interfering with setting up the printer?

Reply to
Brian Kendig
Loading thread data ...

Maybe there _was_ a Symantec "Personal Firewall" on this box. And then sometimes only flatten and rebuild seem to help to get rid of it.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Does that mean that the network is ethernet to a router/switch or to a hub?

Does that mean that the 3210, which has 3 connectivity ports, ethernet, USB, and pictBridge, is ethernetted to the router/hub? I'm assuming so because the printer has an IP.

I'm reading that NAV 2006 comes with Norton Protection Center, which turns out to be a big pain for a lot of people. Search on that.

// Title: Hot to get rid of Norton Protection Center 2006 -- Hello, with the "new" norton Antivirus 2006, a new bloatware get installed. It's norton Protection Center. Totally useless, higly annoying and disturbingly promotional (upselling symantec stuff) //

Don't call the Symantec NAV 2006 NPC a 'firewall' -- call it a 'HP printer (and other things) installation interference' and see if that helps.

The HP installer is right. The Symantec NPC is interfering.

Reply to
Mike Easter

Yup - Ethernet to a switch.

Yes again; it's connected via Ethernet.

Like many other Norton products, I agree that it's a pain; but can the Norton Protection Center really interfere with the HP installer's ability to see a printer on the network? I'm somewhat skeptical of this interaction... why would the HP installer be detecting it as a firewall?

And, more importantly: how do I disable the Norton Protection Center? Uninstalling Norton Antivirus 2006 isn't an option; we purchased it online and downloaded it, and I think a month has gone by and Symantec won't allow another download.

I've tried disabling the Symantec services and killing the Symantec processes, and even rebooting into safe mode, but none of this has helped; I still get an error that a firewall is in the way. How do I disable the Norton Protection Center without uninstalling it? Or, might NPC not be the actual problem? (The three other PCs in the office have Norton Protection Center and Antivirus 2006 installed, and can access the printer with no problems.)

Reply to
Brian Kendig

It seems so.

formatting link
formatting link
To disable Auto-Protect Start Norton AntiVirus. If Norton AntiVirus is part of Norton Internet Security or Norton SystemWorks, then start that product. Click Options. If you see a menu, then click Norton AntiVirus. Under System, click Auto-Protect. Under How to stay protected, uncheck Run at System Startup. Click OK. Restart the computer. Go on to the next section.

Personally I don't believe that paid AV products are inherently better than free ones. And if I have a paid or free product which has 'features' which I don't like, I get rid of it in favor for another/different one.

If disabling the NPC doesn't allow you to install the printer on that box, then I would uninstall it. Whether I re-installed it or not would depend on whether or not I liked it. Whenever I download a file from someplace for installation, I save it to disk, not execute it online.

I can't answer the discrepancy problem, which might be different configurations or different versions of the NAV 2006. Apparently 2006 is different from 2005. I don't use Norton's AV; I just am going by what I'm reading in various places -- those complaining and what is at Symantec.

Reply to
Mike Easter

Disable worm protection in NAV E.

Reply to
E.

Reply to
Ragz

Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations!

Turns out the problem was due to two services:

- Windows Defender Service

- Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

Stopping both of these services allowed the HP installer to find, install, and continue to see the printer, even with Norton Antivirus

2006 still installed and active.

I'm not sure why these two services would have interfered - especially since the Windows Firewall is turned off, so its service shouldn't have been doing anything.

Reply to
Brian Kendig

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.