Can't share printer over wireless network

Hi All,

I need help solving a mystery.

I have a customer with a laptop and a desktop. They are connected together and to the Internet through a wireless network. Both can surf the Internet perfectly.

The AP/Router is a USR 5461 with the latest firmware; the laptop is a Centrino (with the Intel wireless card); the desktop is Ethernet connected to an external D-Link DWL-3150, 802.11g Wireless G Bridge.

The desktop use to have an internal USR5417 PCI adapter, but I removed it after the USR driver crashed winsock. (USR makes really crappy drivers.) There was no symptom change after switching to the (external) D-Link DWL-3150

The printer to be shared is on the desktop. Both computers are XP-Pro-SP2.

I have both TCP/IP and NetBEUI installed. Both workgroup names are identical)

When I connected the two computers directly together with an Ethernet crossover cable, I can print perfectly over the crossover cable from the laptop to the desktop. And, I can do this with both computers security software running. So far so good.

But, when I re-hook the wireless, neither can see each other, with or without both firewalls and antivirus on or off. They can not see each other in network browse -- they only see themselves. I can not force the issue with "search" and manually placing each other name in the the search field.

In the laptop's printer server properties, I can not manually add a port with the path to the desktop's printer.

Editorial comment: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I am suspecting the USR 5461. But, I really don't want to invest in a replacement (D-Link DIR-655) until I know for sure.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
ToddAndMargo
Loading thread data ...

Check that the "AP isolation" box is not checked in the wireless config for the USR5461.

Reply to
LR

I found it in the manual:

formatting link
Now, I will have to call the customer and see if it is checked.

Thank you!

-T

Reply to
ToddAndMargo

Hi All,

The "AP isolation" was not checked. I even tried it checked and unchecked.

So, I replaced the USR 5461 with a D-Link DWG655 and problem solved.

It is a pity: USR use to make such nice products.

-T

Reply to
ToddAndMargo

You might like to visit the Pure Networks site

formatting link
. I found their software quite good and I believe there is a trial software that you can download. I had no problem at all locating all of the printers with this software on my home network.

Reply to
Worn Out Retread

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.