Norton firewall

I have just subscribed to Verizon DSL and would like to know if Norton firewall would provide me with good protection.

Thanks Norm Perry

Reply to
Norman Perry
Loading thread data ...

Better use a router with filtering capabilities.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Did your ISP supply a modem or a router? If you don't know then open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all What does it say for IP address? It may begin with 71 or 192.

Are you using Windows XP with service pack 2 and have you got all critical updates from

formatting link
?

Install a virus scanner. Example:

formatting link
I don't recommend Norton software products, except Norton Ghost. Use a product like Norton Ghost (there are others) to make an image of your hard drive before you start using your PC with your DSL. Then when the PC does get full of viruses and malware you can easily restore it to a pre infected state.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Edwards

Yes my ISP provided me with a DSL modem. My windows XP is updated for all critical updates including survive pack 2.

Reply to
Norman Perry

*ROTFL* - this is Dr. Freud of the day now!

VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

In that case you'll probably survive with just a virus scanner. But consider an external firewall box, not just a modem. A proper firewall is not a piece of software to install on your PC. It is an external piece of hardware. I don't recommend connecting a Windows PC directly to a public IP address unless you have sufficient experience in securing it. I don't know what your experience is but you probably wouldn't have asked your question if it was a good idea for you to run with just a modem.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Edwards

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.