One question about Outpost Pro in english language. URGENT.

Hi, I have just installed Outpost Pro firewall and some time it opens a window with this writing: System Object: Windows Shell Open Commands Object Data in HKCR\\scrfile\\shell\\open\\command\\ Critical system object was changed. This may be a result of spyware activity. Outpost Firewall Pro Anti-Spyware can restore the object to its original default value.

Then I have 2 options: Restore and Add Ignore List. If I like to stop that object, have I click on Restore? Thanks and I'm sorry for my bad english.

bye Ulisse

Reply to
Ulisse
Loading thread data ...

Sincere concolences.

Yes. Ridiculous nonsense.

Better remove Outpost. It has design flaws anyway.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

What do you mean? Is there a better firewall than Outpost Pro? mmmm, in every web site they tell Outpst is a very goog firewall. Do you know a better firewall? thanks

bye Ulisse

Reply to
Ulisse

Outpost has (like Sygate) the design flaw, that it installs a system service, which opens windows. This is a security breach and shows, that Outpost's programmers don't have a clue of Windows system programming, especially they're not understanding Windows security at all.

Please read:

formatting link

What's wrong with the Windows-Firewall? And: for what purpose do you need a host based paket filter? Isn't this enough, what Torsten is writing here on his web-page:

formatting link
Viele Grüße, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I saw this on a fresh install of Win2k recently when experimenting with Outpost 3.5 beta and it's most likely nonsense. Just a false positive of sorts, but this is the kind of silliness you'll get with this type of software. The problem with software that tries to get too smart for it's own good is that you'll likely get a host of popups about absolutely nothing, which is very annoying to me. So I don't use a software firewall, just test and play with them occasionally.

If you want an alternative, maybe try kerio 4.2.3, it's not as touchy and it's easier to use out of the box, yet you can configure rules and so on if you desire too. My experience with Outpost is that it's pretty buggy and flakey at times.

Anyway, if you insist on a software firewall, then try several of them and see which works best on your PC.

Reply to
Kerodo

Thanks for your news. In your opinion is it nìbetter Kerio or Zone Alarm firewall? Click on the link please and give me you advice.

Thanks again

Reply to
Ulisse

None of them can do more than the Windows-Firewall, but both are bloaty.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Well, they're all pretty bloated these days as Volker says. I can't=20 really tell you what's best. That's for you to try and decide. I=20 suggest trying some of them and picking one. =20

--=20 Kerodo

Reply to
Kerodo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.