lsass.exe

Greetings

Today I got an alert message in Zonealarm asking whether to allow 'lsass.exe' from connecting. This is the first time this such program has attempted to do so, after many months of XP action. I looked in Zonealarm 'program control' and although i had denied lsass access or permission, it had been added to the program list with 2 green ticks in the access column.

Any ideas why lsass would suddenly cause this to happen?

Many thanks.

Reply to
buffaloes inc
Loading thread data ...

Heard of Google?

Reply to
Mike

Funny you should mention Google, that was actually the first place i searched for information...wow, what are the chances that you and I were thinking along the same lines? So after having looked through the Google results and being none the wiser, and having submitted a question in the usergroups, I was wondering whether anyone else would have any ideas as to my original post.

Many thanks.

Reply to
buffaloes inc

"buffaloes inc" confessed in news:ct8q5g$9bt$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk:

LSASS is your Windows local security authority service. Simply put, it manages ACLs (access control lists) on your machine. Usually, you want this service to access your LAN, unless you are a standalone computer that never authenticates via the network. In this case you can safely block it.

-- ipgrunt

Reply to
IPGrunt

Many thanks IPGrunt for the reply. Any ideas what would have prompted it to request access, it was the first time it had done so according to Zonealarm.

Reply to
buffaloes inc

"buffaloes inc" confessed in news:ct8tsh$cjb$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk:

I can't really say without looking at your machine. There are many services running on a typical Windows client computer. Open your Task Manager and see!

Every resource in a modern Windows app is under ACL security: files, registry entries, threads, handles, etc. and LSASS has to determine who and what can access them. It attempts a variety of ways to do so, and many use the available networking components.

Make sure your passwords are strong (at least 7 characters long, use upper- lower case letters, numbers, and punctuation, and don't use dictionary words), especially those with advaced privs like Administrator, keep your Windows up-to-date, and you are relatively save letting LSASS get to the network.

-- ipgrunt

Reply to
IPGrunt

You must be using the old version of Google.

In my version I put in lsass.exe. Second link in was

formatting link
Explains it all

P.S. Please don't top post.

Reply to
Mike

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.