Perhaps OT - more proxy than firewall - Privoxy slowness.

I am having some problems with Privoxy that I cannot resolve.

Privoxy is slow. Very slow. On its own and with Tor, but the problem is Privoxy.

Firstly, my config.txt file shows: listen-address 127.0.0.1:8118

My browser (Mozilla Firefox 1.0) uses this proxy for all connections.

I normally use ZoneAlarm but have tried turning it off when using Privoxy, to no avail. IOW, it cannot be ZA blocking connections to the localhost.

I constantly get the following error multiple times per website:

Jan 24 12:13:48 Privoxy(-2072989) Request:

formatting link
Jan 24 12:13:53 Privoxy(-1979429) Error: Unable to get my own hostname: WSANO_DATA - Valid name, no data record of requested type.

According to the Privoxy FAQ: "5.11. My logs show many "Unable to get my own hostname" lines. Why?

Privoxy tries to get the hostname of the system its running on from the IP address of the system interface it is bound to (from the config file listen-address setting). If the system cannot supply this information, Privoxy logs this condition.

Typically, this would be considered a system configuration error. It is not a fatal error to Privoxy however, but may result in a much slower response from Privoxy due to DNS timeouts."

Now, I have no idea why Privoxy does not understand what my hostname is since the listen-address setting says it is 127.0.0.1

The problem manifests itself as follows: the computer receives information from the Internet, then stops for a few seconds then starts again. It is all the stopping that dramatically reduces the connection speed. I am no expert, but this might well be one of the "DNS timeouts".

Incidentally, in Mozilla Firefox there is an option under General / Connection Settings to choose "No Proxy For" a site or IP address. It said "localhost" at one point, but whether that is there or not, makes no difference to the slowness of Privoxy.

If it helps, I use a dial-up connection. I utilise ME.

Thanks for any advice offered. As stated, the slowness is down to Privoxy rather than Tor. The latter is fine on its own.

Reply to
Quimbler
Loading thread data ...

127.0.0.1 should appear in *all* well configured DNS systems, lest you prevent systems that do not use file-based resolution from working.
Reply to
Arthur Hagen

Hint: that's an IP address, not a hostname. IP addresses are resolved by DNS. You bound Privoxy (whatever that may be) to 127.0.0.1, the loopback interface. Which, interestingly, does not appear in any DNS record (of course).

Possible solutions: + Bind it to a real, resolvable interface (your external IP works, but you should make sure that the proxy does not accept connections from the internet or your ISP will kick you off after people start complaining about abuse). This solution would make this post vaguely appropriate for this group. + Make sure 127.0.0.1 is resolvable. Look for a hosts file (c:\\windows\\hosts, /etc/hosts, or whatever it is on your system) and add an entry for 127.0.0.1 (usually '127.0.0.1 localhost').

If this works, great. If it doesn't, please find a more appropriate group to ask for help.

Yours,

Joachim

Reply to
Joachim Schipper

Oops... you're right.

Er... of course you shouldn't believe what I said! Yes, that's what I meant all along... ;-)

Joachim

Reply to
Joachim Schipper

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.