zone alarm and OE

I just upgraded Zone Alarm and now it will not allow me to download email with OE. Other than uninstalling and re-installing ZA (so I can reset all of the programs to allow it to access the internet) how do I get my email working again?

Thanks!!

Eddie G

Reply to
Eddie G
Loading thread data ...

I forgot to mention I am using the free version of ZA and am using Windows XP home. I can use OE for newsgroups with no challenges there.

Reply to
Eddie G

Then you also can use the Windows-Firewall instead of ZA.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Disabling MS software of every kind is a good safe bet. Enjoy it. And get a proper browser, mail client, and news client.

Reply to
Quaestor

Hi Eddie, I believe a lot of people had this problem after upgrading on top of the old one. You can uninstall and re-install the new version to solve the problem, hopefully. Check it out at the ZoneLabs Forums. Link is inside the Help file. charlie R

Reply to
charlie R

Is the following message relevent;

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.charter.net', Server: 'pop.charter.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK 5322 octets', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

If so;

This problem may be caused due to ZA blocking Norton Antivirus email scanning. If you have NAV (or some other antivirus program), try disabling email scanning and see if your mail will download. If it will, you've identified the problem.

PS: email scanning is totally unnecessary.

Reply to
Sir_George

download

you've

I agree with that 100%. email scanning causes no end of problems, and isn't necessary at all. Realtime scanning will pop up and keep you from opening anything bad. Some AV's use a proxy for email, and you'll have to disable it in the app's settings. It will interfere with Mailsafe in ZAP also. I disable that also.

charlie R

Reply to
charlie R

You've got me confused. You're saying that scanning emails with antivirus software is unnecessary! Please explain that a bit for me. I'm under the impression that email is one of the major ways of getting virus's into my computer. I've got personal firewall as well as Norton Anti-virus software.

Thanks for your help.

DaveS

Reply to
DaveS

Almost every anti-virus program for Windows installs by default a system scan that runs in the background every time Windows starts. This scan is necessary to protect your computer. If you receive a virus in an e-mail attachment, the virus cannot do anything at all until you actually open the attachment.

See;

formatting link
read the rest of this article and for more detailed information.

Reply to
Sir_George

Correct!

Reply to
Sir_George

"..... the virus cannot do anything at all until you actually open the attachment...." At which time, I assume the anti-virus protection will kick in and "kill" the virus.

I, therefore, assume that in essence if I am checking incoming emails and then check later for any virus in the attachments (at start up as described above) that I'm doing double duty and wasting cycles on my PC?

DaveS

Reply to
DaveS

I don't think so. This speacial "background scanning" is not a good idea, because it only costs resources, and is almost useless.

Yes. And because this, it's a very good idea to scan everything, before it's used in your system. This means, your virus scanner should scan any mail, before it's "opened" by you in your MTA.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

This is a dangerous thinking. Of course, if you have a good virus scanner, it will find all viruses it knows (for which it's so important to keep it up to date). But there may be unknown viruses, too, and your virus scanner cannot find them. It is a good idea to handle everything with care, even if you have an actual virus scanner.

Yes.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

In an attempt to return a thread that addresses the original topic posed...........

Over the weekend I received an alert from Zone Labs that my Zone Alarm application (free version not the pro-package) was due for and update. I updated the installation that I had to the new version 6 by what they term an upgrade rather than a fresh install so that I could preserve my settings.

On restarting my machine to complete the installation, Zone Alarm seemed OK but on connecting to the Internet the icon in the tool tray changes to display a cross and the application displays the warning " System Error - Reboot required".

I have rebooted and still Zone Alarm does not function. If I attempt to browse the Web whilst the Zone Alarm is in this error condition, no pages are available.

I have recovered some functionality by uninstalling ZA but find Internet connectivity times out after a period of about 10 minutes but also seems random. My home network no-longer works either

My operating system is XP Professional SP1 and connection to the Internet is via dial-up modem using IE as the browser. The browser would appear to have been corrupted by the version 6 of ZA (free).

In an attempt to find out what is happening I visited the Zone Labs forum at:

formatting link

where I learnt that many people who similarly upgrade ZA to V6 are suffering big time.

Here are a few examples from the Forum found at the above link:

1) Looking around in this forum, it's obvious that the new ZA update with v6.0667 screwed up MANY people's computers (how many thousands?). I run ZA free version on windows XP Pro sp2, and surfing with IE is now like riding a ticking bomb. When loading a new page the computer will shut down and reboot every few minutes/seconds. This keeps happening after shutting down ZA and only running Windows firewall... (and it seems that people who even uninstalled ZA keeps having the problem) What annoys me is that the experts on this site reply with suspicious questions about what the user might have done wrong, or how badly updated drivers and configuration the user might have. I hope the ZA-people must have realized by now that ZA is the culprit, no-one else! Ok, so I will follow the advice on in the sticky, so I'll get a bluescreen and a number to report instead of a reboot, but then I expect this problem to be solved soon. And I might even dare to try to reset my registry, if that is recommended by the ZA-people...is it recommended? Most of all, I want to see a sticky where the ZA-people take responsibility for this problem, apologize for the extreme inconvenience it causes and promise that the problem will soon be fixed with a patch or new update! No avoiding silence or denial, please! ZA-people on this forum, you act as ZA representatives, right!? Meet your customers! 2) They won't solve anything!...most of them are here just to convince you of moving to v 6 no matter how many issues they find here, and they know it. Why don't you stay with version 5.5.094? At least until your license runs out. Vesion 5.5 had the firewall that's all you need. All the rest in version 6 are ornaments that will just 'hog' your system. 3) Oh dear, no. I'm not acting as ZA-representative. But I do sometimes try to help people when they encounter problems. Mostly Security and Alerts issues. Above that, I'm running a version 2.x of ZoneAlarm. My advice to you, do a clean uninstall of ZA and reinstall your older version.

Regards,

BitS

4) I have upgraded to ZoneAlarm 6.0 but after installing the program, a error message, "System error: please reboot" appears at the top (near the padlock) and the icon in the toolbar says: "TrueVector Security service is shut down." I have rebooted and uninstalled ZA 6.0 several times, even tried to reinstall older version, which worked fine, but it no longer works either. I have turned off Windows Firewall and NAV while installing but that didn't help. What do I try next? Mariboo Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition Product Name: ZoneAlarm (Free) Software Version: 6.0 5) I updated from v5.5 to v6.0 (Free) retaining my access settings but experienced problems immediately. My XP Pro SP2 system crashed with a blue screen a couple of times whilst I was using Visual Studio and local IIS. Also, I could not get SecureIE (Windows IE 6 shell program) to run with ZA 6.0, even after reinstalling SIE. SIE would run if I closed down ZA. I read some of the entries on the Forum and decided to backtrack. I restored my system configuration, uninstalled ZA 6.0 and SecureIE, re-installed ZA 5.5 and SecureIE. All is now ok. I have never before experienced problems with ZA upgrades. Hopefully, these are being addressed. I will wait for a fixed version will be released. Operating System: Windows XP Pro Product Name: ZoneAlarm (Free) Software Version: 6.0 6) The new 6.0 update has done more damage to my computer than any spyware, virus, or hacker has ever done. I have used ZoneAlarm for years and never had a problem. I thing that makes this worse, because I got used to being able to trust ZA and never worried about updating. So while I was working on a memorial video for my mother that passed away on September 10th and the reminder pop-up telling me that there was an update opened up I didn't even think twice about updating. To my horror I started getting True Vector errors.. and continued to get the errors... and the errors continued... for about an hour and a half until I finally got the update installed and ZA working (had to manually uninstall zonealarm 5.5). I thought OK that **bleep**ed .. but I still had over an hour before I had to have my video done for my mom's service so I was cutting it close but I was pretty much done all I had left to do was make a few ending shots in Photoshop and adjust my audio track in Adobe Audition. Well... I quickly discovered that my Photoshop and Audition were not working anymore, got an error saying that my serial number and activation was corrupt or missing and to reinstall... Again I thought this **bleep**s but no problem I will just reinstall Photoshop.. not that easy... Photoshop won't install unless I uninstall the program... so I go to the add/remove control panel and find out that all of my programs (although listed) do not have the remove button .... meaning no way to uninstall Photoshop.. I had to manually uninstall Photoshop and reinstall it.. that took about an hour and 40 minutes. Needless to say I missed the beginning of my mother's service and had to show up with no video... which really tore me up because that was the only thing my sister asked me to take care of. The bottom line is I will NEVER use or recommend another Check Point product or service again.

Regards,

Eric.

"Eddie G" wrote in message news:6eOdnTKwIo8i87benZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Eric D

*sigh* - some people don't want to learn.

This is catastrophic. Please do use SP2. And perhaps another browser.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.