New Zonealarm 6.5 Prevents Eudora .toc Files from Updating

I was curious if any other Zone Alarm 6.5 and Eudora users have experienced this.

Yesterday, I updated my Zonealarm Pro Firewall to Version 6.5. Shortly thereafter, I began getting warnings from Eudora that various mailboxes had out-of-date tables of contents, and did I want to rebuild?

This seemed to be happening every time I started Eudora. I took a look at my Eudora data directory, and noted that, indeed, the .toc files were never being updated as the .mbx files changed.

Since the only thing that had changed on my system was Zone Alarm, I backed out to Version 6.1. Problem solved. I re-installed 6.5 - problem back. Re-installed 6.1 - fixed again. Clearly, then, the problem is Zonealarm 6.5.

Potentially confounding factors are that I use avast! free to scan my email (though I experimented with turning that off) and store my Eudora data directory on a PGP disk. I also turned off the "Mailsafe" option in Zonealarm, which did not help.

Reply to
Seth Goodman
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for the warning. I see nothing new regarding Eudora (or avast or PGP) issues with the new ZAP on the ZA Forums. You could try posting there:

formatting link
I see from the release notes that a lot was changed from ZAP 6.1 to 6.5 so maybe there is an issue in there somewhere with regards to Eudora. I assume you're using the latest Eudora 7.0.1. When you installed the new ZAP, did you do the "New Installation" or "Upgrade" route? I've had issues in the past trying Upgrade and had much better luck with the clean installation although it does mean a few days of effort to let it configure itself again. The ZAP forums do mention issues in the past between new versions of ZAP and avast.

Since I have Eudora and ZAP running on two PCs, I may try in a day or three to install ZAP6.5. I'll report back either way. I will check this newsgroup and the ZA Forums before starting the install in case others also have your reported issue.

Does your ZAP "Alerts & Logs" panel show any denied issues that seem related to Eudora or your avast! or PGP that may shed some light on your problem? Good luck and keep us apprised of your results, although it appears now that you're back to ZAP 6.1 and will wait for the next ZAP 6.5 before trying again.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Actually, 6.0.3

New Installation. My experience is the same as yours in that regard.

That was avast's "web shield" module, which I have not installed.

Gosh, I'm embarrassed to say I forgot to look at the logs!

If I have some time in the next day or two, I'll reinstall 6.5 for a few minutes and check. (By backing up my 6.1 parameters in a back-up file, it's probably only about a 1/2 hour exercise to install 6.5, test, uninstall [with /clean option, of course], and then re-install 6.1)

I'll report back if anything interesting shows up in the logs.

Thanks for taking an interest. I've got a bug report in to Zone Labs, with no response so far.

Reply to
Seth Goodman

Thus spake Seth Goodman :

Have you told Checkpoint?

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

Well this is weird. I have ZoneAlarm Pro version 6.1.744.001 and every time I click on "Check for Update" I get a response saying "Your Internet Security is Up to Date."

Either 6.5 is a pre-release version or they haven't put it in their update folder yet. I think I'll wait for them to officially put it in the update folder before I start looking for it to install it.

CD

Reply to
Cranky Dude

6.5 is final. You can get it on their site. Just takes a while for them to get around to incorporating it into the update check stuff I guess..
Reply to
Kerodo

Seth,

I could go on for paragraphs with my guesses (your PGP and avast being choices #1 and 2), but they'd only be guesses. What I can tell you with certainty, is that the new ZAP6.5 can play well with Eudora, at least with my version 7.0.1. I've done a clean installation of ZAP, diddled a little with getting it all set up, then with fingers crossed, opened Eudora. I was able to receive, send, open and read lots of mail. I am able to close and reopen Eudora with no error messages with and without compacting mailboxes. I can even do all the above after rebooting.

So I'd say that your issues between the new ZAP6.5 (not seen with 6.1) and another program may not be with Eudora but are with another program and the new ZAP.

As before, good luck.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

I was glad to read your message, as I've been struggling with the same symptoms since I installed Zone Alarm Pro 6.5 last night!

I've removed ZAP and activated the Windows XP Firewall, and the problem has gone away. It does seem to me to be an issue with Zone Alarm.

I'm using AVG anti-virus. I installed that at the same time, so it could potentially have been that causing the problem, but I'm now running AVG without Zone Alarm, and the TOCs are rebuilding OK.

I'm using POPFile to scan for spam. Not using PGP. I also failed to look at the ZAP logs before uninstalling...

- Chris Booth

Reply to
Chris Booth

I just tried reinstalling ZAP 6.5 - sure enough, the problem reappears. I can see nothing relevant in the log file though.

Should have said I'm using 6.0.0.22 (Paid mode).

- Chris

Chris Booth wrote:

Reply to
Chris Booth

It's somewhat amusing to see, what problems you're facing voluntarily, only to get a false feeling of being secure.

You just could abandon Zone Alarm, and you woul not have such problems.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

One possibility is that ZA is keeping the files open, thus preventing Eudora access.

You could use a program like ProcessExplorer from sysinternals to check.

Reply to
Marc Auslander

One possibility is that ZA is keeping the files open, thus preventing Eudora access.

You could use a program like ProcessExplorer from sysinternals to check.

Reply to
Craig

I spent about three hours last night playing with various permutations of things.

I reinstalled ZAP 6.5, and the bug returned. Like Chris, I saw nothing in the logs of interest.

I uninstalled avast, and installed a demo version of ZASS 6.5. No change, so the problem can't be avast.

I tried uninstalling PGP and ZAP, then reinstalling ZAP followed by PGP. This was in case there was an LSP conflict. (Supposedly, it's best to install PGP last.)

I tried replacing PGP with True Crypt. Still the bug remained.

I'm sure there's more things I could try, but I'm losing interest. (It's not my bug!) For now, I've gone back to version 6.1, yet again. Long term, if Zone Labs doesn't fix this bug, I'll either drop Zone Alarm or Eudora - probably the former. I'm really using ZAP just for its spyware capabilities, rather than as a firewall, anyhow.

So far, I've not heard any response to my bug report from Zone Labs. Historically, I've found Zone Labs unresponsive to bug reports that don't affect a large number of users.

Reply to
Seth Goodman

If you read my other follow-up, it's almost certainly not your AV program that's the problem

Would you consider reporting your experience to Zone Labs, as corroboration? Unfortunately, I can't tell you where to report it - I found a link for reporting bugs for their beta which just closed, and used that. However, I can't seem to find that link now.

Guess they'd prefer not to know about problems. ;-)

Reply to
Seth Goodman

Seth Goodman wrote on 2006-Jun-06 in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsgroups.comcast.net:

I have experienced problems with ZoneAlarm 6.5 and Eudora's fast search indexing. The fast search indexing update continues indefinitely.

Because of the interference with the fast search index updating, there is a duplication of outgoing messages that were filtered. These filtered outgoing messages appear properly in the correct folder, but then also appear later in the Out Box with red X's in front, as if they were failed outgoing messages.

- Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

- -- Mark Twain

-

- Bruce A. Johnson in Hardisty, Alberta, Canada

- snipped-for-privacy@BruceJohnson.ca

-

formatting link

Reply to
Bruce A. Johnson

Seth Goodman wrote on 2006-Jun-06 in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsgroups.comcast.net:

I have experienced problems with ZoneAlarm 6.5 and Eudora's fast search indexing. The fast search indexing update continues indefinitely.

Because of the interference with the fast search index updating, there is a duplication of outgoing messages that were filtered. These filtered outgoing messages appear properly in the correct folder, but then also appear later in the Out Box with red X's in front, as if they were failed outgoing messages.

- Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

- -- Mark Twain

-

- Bruce A. Johnson in Hardisty, Alberta, Canada

- snipped-for-privacy@BruceJohnson.ca

-

formatting link

Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

I reported this as a bug to Zone Labs tech support earlier this week. (Finally found a web form to use for that:

formatting link
) After exchanging a few emails with them, they told me on Thursday that they've been able to reproduce the bug at tech support, and have escalated it to be fixed. No ETA for a fix, but I'm always hopeful when they are able to reproduce it themselves.

As per your next post, about uninstallation problems: Instead of running the default uninstaller for 6.5, go to the directory where Zone Alarm is installed, and run "zauninst.exe /clean". That should remove enough of 6.5 that 6.1 can be successfully re-installed.

If that doesn't do it (and it should), follow the instructions here:

forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=inst&message.id=48347

It would be nice if they fixed their uninstaller to do all the things mentioned on that web page!

Reply to
Seth Goodman

I can't be sure that it is ZA security suite 6.5 but I had problems with Eudora (control d did not remove junk on the first try, screwed up toc) that went away after I went back to ZA 5.5 and reinstalled Eudora. I had tried to remove Eudora 7 with add-remove programs (W2K SP4, all updates) and could not do that. Worked fine after reverting ZA and reinstall then cured problems.

I also suspect ZA was the source of problems with W> Seth Goodman wrote on 2006-Jun-06 in

Reply to
edchandross

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 07:21:59 -0400, Seth Goodman declaimed the following in comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows:

I may have gotten to that form, eventually -- after saying "no, it is something else" enough times to their "self help" wizard... At least, I did get an auto-response...

I'll see what happens with Mailsafe disabled (haven't had a ToC message yet, whereas I had been getting them every time I changed from inbox to junk to trash, etc.).

Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 17:47:00 GMT, Dennis Lee Bieber declaimed the following in comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows:

Nope... even with Mailsafe off it bit me on startup... (detected /after/ I decided to use the /clean and revert to 6.1 -- after seeing all the other complaints about 6.5 on the ZA forums; like the fact that it doesn't seem to shut down cleanly on a system shutdown but instead pops up some banner for a few seconds)

Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.