D-Link 604 and WallWatcher

I have a D-Link, DI-604, with updated firmware to Version 3.51 and WallWatcher Version 3.2.18. I'm attempting to use WallWatcher, which states that the above router is supported, to interactively view my log file. However, I have been unable to configure the router settings so that the log files are seen by WallWatcher.

I can receive the log files when I send them to my email account and I can ping the router through WallWatcher, but when monitoring for activity WallWatcher only logs the "Start Time" and has no additional entries.

Can someone provide some help?

Reply to
Sir_George
Loading thread data ...

Someone sent me log samples from the DI-604 a couple of months ago, and they were used to add WallWatcher support for that router. That's also how I know that the DI-604 can send log records to Syslog port 514.

Before that, other people had told me they could not get SysLog style logging to work with the DI-604. This suggests one of two things: there's a newer model available that supports SysLog, while the older ones don't; or there's newer Firmware available that adds SysLog to models that couldn't do it with previous Firmware.

You may want to check D-Link's website to find out what's available for your model of DI-604.

Also, you may want to check Duane's suggestion that a software firewall on the computer running WallWatcher is blocking communication. Some software firewalls do that silently, without asking you whether the log records or WW should be allowed to use the 'net. The firewalls have Configuration sections that let you change the Permissions for specific applications, address, and ports. The Router should be in your "Trusted zone", and anything it sends to port 514 should be allowed to reach WW. Also, WW should be allowed to do DNS lookups (port 53) if you want to use the "Convert" options on its Logging menu.

Reply to
newsgroups

Duane,

Thanks for your reply, but I have tried using WallWatcher with the software firewall disabled and it has no effect.

Reply to
Sir_George

newsgroup...,

Thanks for the reply. The firmware that I'm using is the latest one available from D-Link (Version 3.51). So, you may be correct that a later release of DI-604 has been shipped which allows WallWatcher to work properly.

In regards to a software firewall being the culprit, I have already replied to Duane's post that it is not the problem because even with it disabled I can not get WallWatcher to see the log files.

Reply to
Sir_George

You sure you don't have a PFW solution active on the machine that's possibly blocking packets? If the is a PFW, then disable it and find out?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"Sir_George" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Well, the man who wrote WW replied to you. :)

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

newsgroups...

Could you please post instructions on how I would setup my DI-604 so that it sends log records to "Syslog port 514." The only log settings available are for entries regarding "SMTP Server / IP Address" and "Email Address."

Again, I just wanted to state that I can receive log files via E-mail, but have been unable to configure the Log settings to be viewed by WallWatcher.

Reply to
Sir_George

The chap that wrote it has been active in this group - he's great. If he says that you can output the logs as sys, then try it, it might make life easy for logging. I've not used WW for anything except Linksys, but the latest version is the best I've seen for logging.

Reply to
Leythos

newsgroups...

You can disregard my prior message about instructions for using Syslog Port

514. I did some additional research and found that the above is only relevant to Linux and Unix systems and not used by Windows, which is my OS.

Additionally, I found out there are 3rd party apps which I can load to use the Syslog function, but I don't intend to go that route.

Reply to
Sir_George

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.