Can I backup firmware before upgrading (D-link 604)

I would like to upgrade the firmware on my D-link 604 router to the latest revision.

But in case I have a problem with the new firmware, can I protect my self by backing up the present version before upgrade, to install back if necessary.

Or if I have to, is there a way to reset back to the present version after installing the new revision..

The present firmware in 3.38 and the newest is 3.51

Your assistance would be very much appreciated

Reply to
Hal
Loading thread data ...

Hal wrote in news:3tmt31h0ace9kq625g7np96kff38kdvvi7@

4ax.com:

No, all you can do is get the old version from the site and flash the router back to the old version of the firmware.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You should be able to also backup your config to file.

In case of probs, after you flash to old fireware version, just restore the config. I think that would achive what you originally posted.

Reply to
Darko Gavrilovic

It's not the config settings I am concerned about. I want to backup the present firmware before installing the new revision in case it is necessary to reinstall it.

If I go to Tools/System on the DI-604 setup, I find System Settings, which enables saving the settings to a config file, or restoring the settings from that file or from the factory defaults.

If I choose factory default, it will restore whatever the defaults are for the revision that is installed at that time, but it will not reinstall the factory installed firmware if I flash a new firmware over it.

I can not find anywhere on the setup to backup the old firmware before installing the new revision.

Perhaps there is a software tool somewhere on the internet that could read the firmware on the router and save it to a .bin file so I could reinstall it if necessary.

Does anyone know of such a tool?

Reply to
Hal

Hal wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You download the old version and save it on the HDD or anywhere like a floppy disk prior to doing the upgrade flash so you can flash back if you have to. It doesn't take a rocket scientist on this one.

Good luck I doubt it. It does seem much to do about nothing.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Hal wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hi. I don't know. As was posted earlier. Write down the current firmware version and download it from the DLink site. They still offer ver. 3.36 and

3.51 for rev E and ver 2.20 2.18 for revs A,B,C.

To be honest, I don't understand why you are concerned about keeping the old firmware. From by experience, firmware upgrades have always resulted in increased stability and performance of device.

Reply to
Darko Gavrilovic

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.