[Linksys BEFSX41} "WallWatcher" message inspires newbie confusion!

Loading thread data ...

The Time Server message is just a routine Status report from the router, not an error. The BEFSX41 re-synchronizes its internal clock with a web Time Server every 60 minutes.

The actual wording in WallWatcher's documentation is "Exception message", not "error", but it's an obsolete choice of words and I will change it.

"Messages" are everything that WW didn't recognize as "Traffic" events. Some are "exception" conditions, some are just status messages from the router (like the Time Server message you referenced), and some may be "Traffic" events that WW did not recognize.

WW originally was written for a Linksys BEFSR41, and other than the bootup messages, all non-traffic log records from that router really were exception conditions (router overload, usually). As WW has supported more and more routers (over 40 at the moment), it's turned out that some non-traffic records are routine "status", while others are various degrees of "exception" or "trouble" reports.

You can tell WW to hide or not log those Time Server messages: right-click on one of them and select "hide" or "don't log", then follow the on-screen instructions.

"status", but some will be things you may want to investigate.

Thank you for calling my attention to the obsolete phrasing in the documentation.

Reply to
newsgroups

If the router can send log records to a computer port (usually SysLog port 514, but others are acceptable), you can collect data samples and send them to me so that I can add support for your router.

There's a program at the WallWatcher website that you can download to do the data collection:

formatting link

It's a very simple utility: just unzip and run it on the computer to which you've told your router to send the log records.

When it's done, it'll show you the address to which you can email what you've collected. Please "zip" the sample if possible, and mention the name of the router. If it's feasible to add support, I'll do so and send you the result for testing.

-Dan Tseng (WallWatcher author)

Reply to
newsgroups

Melissa wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

The router's firmware does something's on its own and it's reporting its activity in the logs. It doesn't mean the router is having trouble. The message just seems to indicate it did a time sync. It's been a long time since I used a Linksys router but from time to time the router reports its activity in the logs. You'll see some messages on a router reset/reboot too. I believe the host logging computer rebooting and the router establishes communications again will create messages in the log.

If the router is having problems and it's reporting in the logs, then you'll see a series of continuous messages in the log and the router may not have a connection to the ISP as well. You will see it clearly. Other than that, the router will log its activity messages or I think you can tell WW to not report them.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

If you look through the router you will see that it has logs, and that the logs are often at the correct time, and the router will automatically POLL a generic time server to update itself.

The latest version of WW has some very nice reporting features.

Reply to
Leythos

You don't have anything that's generic that will work on a WatchGuard SOHO 6 do you?

Reply to
DissyDreams The People's Cunt

snipped-for-privacy@wallwatcher.com wrote in news:1111819413.059190.265930 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Hey, sorry about the email name I forgot I was using OE -- another battle front. ;-)

Thanks I'll try to capture some log data.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

In case you've not been told - YOU ROCK! Dan you have got to be one of the best freeware providers I've encountered in ages. I can remember you sending me the source code so that I could modify your app to log to a SQL server, and when I was using the BEFSR41 I loved it (I have a WatchGuard Firebox II/III/and will be getting an X-700 shortly).

The only thing you could do to make it better is to get it to run as a service so that parents and users could have it logging without needing a desktop. If you got it to that point I know many clients that would be happy to purchase it.

Reply to
Leythos

Leythos wrote in news:0Gf1e.3214$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.columbus.rr.com:

If you have a NT based O/S, then it may be possible for Linksys. I ran across the link and was going to do it before I switched.

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Hey, the warrantee is up on the WG FB SOHO 6 at the end of April 2005. Is it worth renewing it?

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Since they are so cheap, the units, unless you missed downloading the updates, I've not renewed any of the SOHO warranties yet, and don't expect to.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.