Help needed - Firewall rules with D-Link DI-604

Hi,

I have a D-Link DI-604 router, firmware version 2.18.

Yesterday, I noticed that some rules were added to my firewall configuration. There were 5 or 6 of them. The rules allowed, and redirected, incoming traffic to one specific computer in my LAN (Windows XP Professional). I don't remember all the ports involved but I think that they all had the same name : msmsgs ...

I reset the router, reloaded my initial configuration and changed all passwords. I also changed my log settings to add debug information.

On the Windows XP Professional computer, I plan to install Zone Alarm and hope it's going to help me understand what happened... because I have a feeling it is going to happen again...

Now, I am wondering how these rules got there? Remote management (http) was enabled but, as far as I know, only the administrator has write privileges... Right? I'm really no expert with these technologies. If anyone has any ideas or comments, they're more than welcome.

Thanks a lot, Nathalie.

Reply to
Nath
Loading thread data ...

Try disabling XP's messenger service.

Click Start, then Run, then type in: services.msc Go to the messenger service and set it to disabled (you might also want to change it from automatic to manual).

Mark Turpin

Reply to
mark.h.turpin

was enabled... gaming mode as well

Reply to
Nath

uPnP?

Reply to
Justins local account

Don't install Zone Alarm -- update to Windows XP Service Pack 2, if not already done, and enable the Windows Firewall, and enable logging.

Some "remote" user connected to the web-interface, with the default password to the administrator ID, determined the IP-addresses that were active on your network, and made the changes. The intent of the changes was to allow remotely-initiated "pop-up" messages to "tunnel" through your router to your Windows XP system, and create annoying pop-ups. Nasty fellows on the Internet!!!

Reply to
Melvin Klassen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.