169.254.0.0 and Zone Alarm

My PC is connected to the Net via cable and there are no other PCs attached.

I left my PC to do some P2P downloading. When I got back Zone Alarm said it had detect a new Private Network with an IP address of

The screen had frozen and I had to do a reboot. On rebboting Zone Alarm didn't ask about 169.254.0.0 again.

WHOIS tells me nothing about 169.254.0.0. Does anyone know what IP address it is?

Reply to
Sandi
Loading thread data ...

Pasted from:

formatting link
Symptom: The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved

169.254.0.0-169.254.255.255 for Automatic Private IP Addressing. If the computer can't get ip from DHCP, APIPA provides an address that is guaranteed not to conflict with routable addresses.
Reply to
Mysteron

This means that your PC lost its internet connection, and was unable to get an IP address. Any 169.x.x.x address is only assigned when all else fails and your Pc can't find your ISPs server.

From ZA's point of view, its completely harmless. From your point of view, it means your internet connection fell over. You may want to explore why.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

This is a non routable IP address similar to 10.x.x.x and 172.16-172.31 and

192.168.x.x. Windows will also default to it if it can not get an IP address....

Michael

Reply to
Michael J. Pelletier

Have a look at RFC3330

formatting link

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.