NetBios & Zone Alarm?

Netgear WGR614v5 Wireless Router Netgear WG511 Wireless PC Card /w latest driver download from Netgear web site. Using WEP 64-bit

I have just setup and started running my new Christmas Wireless Internet connection hardware. Connections are working great. My question is about my Zone Alarm firewall blocking outgoing from "Source IP" 192.168.1.x:xxxx to "Destination IP" 192.168.1.x.xxx . I think this just started up after setting up my wireless stuff. I don't remember seeing it before. What does this mean? Should I worry about it? Thanks, John

Reply to
L'l John
Loading thread data ...

More clarification:

Discription from ZA: "Packet sent from 192.168.1.x (NetBIOS Datagram) to 192.168.1.x (NetBIOS Datagram) was blocked"

I get this if both directions, incoming and outgoing.

Reply to
L'l John

The port numbers vary, but always in the 1xxx range. Sometimes there is no port # listed. Sometimes it says "NetBIOS Session" other times it says "NetBIOS Datagram".

Reply to
L'l John

Would that be the trusted zone under the ACCESS or SERVER heading?

Reply to
L'l John

Hey Daniel, I am slow but steady. With your insight and some more looking at ZA help files I figured out how to add that IP # to the trusted zone. Thanks a Million, John

Reply to
L'l John

It sounds like your local subnet is not on the trusted list. you should add the subnet to the trusted zone. I've noticed the pro version detects and does it automatically. But maybe the other version(can't remember) doesn't.

What port numbers were being accessed? Netbios I think is 445??? or something like that.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

"L'l John" wrote > More clarification:

If the 192.168.1.* was in the trusted zone you wouldn't get it at all. Its seeing packets outside of your pc as 'on the internet' even though they are local.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

Like I said if anything in the 192.168.1.* range is getting blocked its because its not trusted and therefore not considered 'local' traffic.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

"L'l John" wrote

I have zone alarm pro at the moment, and under firewall, theres an option for zones where you just add 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0. As that trial expires tonight I'll downgrade it and check for you...

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

"L'l John" wrote

ok take a look at

formatting link
which is the manual...

Under firewall protection then managing traffic sources is the information you need. Basically you select firewall, then within that the zones tab. the make sure your network is listed as a trusted zone. (assuming all pc's on this network are your own of course!)

Kind regards,

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.