turned off DHCP in Netgear RT314; how to turn back on?

I have a Netgear RT314 Gateway Router. Because of a previous network setup, I turned off DHCP in this router. Now I can't figure out how to turn it back on. My PC now has a public IP assigned by the ISP's DCHP server, not an IP of the 192.168.x.x variety, so I can't telnet or browse to 192.168.0.1. If I connect the ethernet from the cable modem to the "Internet" port of the router, I cannot connect to the outside world. I have to connect the router as a simple switch just to use the internet. I tried to connect a serial cable method from PC to router and use hyperterminal, but had no luck. (I have never used the serial com ports on this PC before so I have no idea if they work or not). Is there any other method to get the DHCP turned back on? Any way to get it back to factory defaults?

diagram of current setup | cable modem ----------| |"Internet" port | ____|_____ | | RT314 | | |__________| | | | | | -----------| PC ------PC

Reply to
Joe Blow
Loading thread data ...

Or start here

formatting link
and maybe wander over to
formatting link
Or goto WalMart and get a Linksys router. 8*)

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Try manually assigning an IP address to your PC in the 192.168.x.x range, which will then allow you to access the router's management functions and re-enable the DHCP server.

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Reply to
Rich Seifert

Great idea. That did the trick. Thanks.

Rich Seifert wrote in

Reply to
Joe Blow

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.