Airport express as repeater

My wi-fi (using AP Extreme) doesn't quite make it from my office to the outside deck. I have an AP Express, can I use that as a repeater or in some other fashion to extend the signal. If not, suggestions?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman
Loading thread data ...

Yes, the Airport Express has a repeater feature using 802.11g (not n): [My standard rant on why repeaters and range extenders suck omitted]

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a suggestion that might work better? The router and wifi is in my office in the front of the house and I'd like to get the signal to parts of the back yard. I need another 50 feet or so of signal.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I would think about adding an access point (almost any wireless router will do) in the back of the house to serve the back yard. That would take care of blanketing the back yard with a usable signal, but then the problem becomes how to backhaul from the new access point to the existing router. Ethernet cable is best, but powerline networking may also work, or networking via phone lines or coax may also work, depending on your situation. Adapters exist for each of those options.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Yes. Run CAT5e from your existing Airport Extreme to a convenient location with a view of the back yard.

Setup the Airport Express as an access point (nothing connected to the WAN port, static IP address, and DHCP server turned OFF). Plug the CAT5e cable into the Airport Express LAN port.

Note that this assumes that you have one of the newer Airport Express boxes, that has both LAN and WAN ports. If you have one of the older units, that only has a WAN port, this is not going to work. Note the difference: [Be sure to thank Apple for intentionally obscuring their product descriptions and hiding their model numbers in order to create intentional identification problems.] If your Airport Express is one of the old mutations it will NOT work. Instead, you can use any wireless router setup as an access point. Same ritual (nothing on the WAN port, static IP address, and DCHP server turned OFF) for the setup. I would spend the $$$ to get a dual band wireless router so that you can use 5.6Ghz in the back yard.

You can use the same SSID and WPA2 pass phrase on both Airports, but I wouldn't do that. Seamless roaming is usually problematic with low end hardware. Therefore, I suggest you use different SSID's, so that you can choose which radio to connect, and the same WPA pass phrase. Also, don't let the radios decide what channel to use on 2.4GHz. Put them on different (1, 6, or 11) channels based on local interference scans. It's probably acceptable to use auto for 5.6GHz (until it too gets crowded).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That isn't really an option because of a number of problems.

Okay.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I haven't found a wall that I couldn't drill a hole through yet. Well, there was one. It was in a hospital and required 16 signatures to sign off on the hole. I have up at about signature number 5.

Your alternatives for backhaul are:

1. HomePlug also known as power line networking. I haven't had much luck with these. I think I have 3 or 4 pairs of these on my shelf, removed from customers who thought they would be a good substitute for CAT5.
  2. HomePNA also known as POTS telephone line networking. This sorta works, but I've found that ratty telephone wiring and ADSL2+ create some mutual interference. If you're not using the yellow-black pair on the phone wiring, this so-so.
  3. MoCA also known as CATV networking. A bit pricy, but works nice. I'm getting about 150Mbits/sec on one install. The new, improved, and difficult to fine MoCA 2.0 adapters claim that they will do 400 to 800Mbits/sec thruput. Run RG-6/u around the house for CATV and share it with data.

Since you already seem to have the Airport Express (old or new version?), you might as well try setting up a repeater. I predict disaster, but you might get lucky. It can be made to work as long as the main wireless router and the connecting laptop? cannot "see" each other.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That is the problem... Kay doesn't want holes drilled willy nilly. I also want something I can do myself and also we are thinking about selling the house within the next 6 months and I doubt we'd get the expense back out. That and this is just something that is nice if I can do it, but won't miss it if I can't. My wife would just like wifi access by the pool.

I may try this one as second option. There is already a cable drop where I was thinking about putting the AE anyway. Can I use this if I am already using it for cable with a signal splitter?

Probably old. I know it is at the very least 5 years old and I think older. That is absolutely ancient in electronic years (grin). The connecting laptop is probably going to be at least 50 feet from where the current signal peters out. Thanks again.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Find. Find a LONG CAT5e cable, and temporarily drag it and the wireless access point outside, through a window, when you need to use it near the pool. When done, roll the wire backup, and put it away.

Splitter yes. Directional coupler, probably not.

If old model Airport Express, the only thing that's going to work is extender (repeater) mode due to the lack of a LAN jack. Otherwise, you get to buy a wireless router (to use as an access point).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Any rental property where the owner says "no" and your lease prohibits running cable.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

This works fine on the older units too, they can be configured as reasonably dumb bridges using the configuration options, at least with semi-modern firmware (Anything in the last 2-3 years)

That being said, the RF performance between the older and newer units is significant, it's well worth the upgrade. A refurbished current-generation Airport Extreme is better, if you can stomach another $50 or so.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.