Require clarification on IEEE 802.1D -2004 spec on Conformance

Hello - We are implementing IEEE 802.1D -2004,spec on our equipment. I want some clarifications on the specification .

As per the PICS conformance in A.9 (Addressing) ADDR-1 it mentions that it is Mandatory for each Port have a Seperate MAC Address (Sec 7.12.2) ?

My question :Does this mean that each BPDU frame Txed from a Port be assigned a unique Universally Administered MAC address?

Could the experts please throw some light on this ? any clarification on this would be appreciated

Thanks and Best Regards Kott

Reply to
Kott
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I am not an expert on this in terms of signing off new hardware/software however:-

I would say that:- each port must have a unique "Universally Administered MAC address" that is used as the source address for BPDU's transmitted by that port.

This is certainly what I have seen when sniffing.

It would allow ports to recognise their own BPDUs.

Reply to
anybody43

Thanks for the same! I will explain my question with some more information. I have a 16 port switch for which I am implementing IEEE 802.1D -2004 spec.

As per the PICS conformance in A.9 (Addressing) ADDR-1 it mentions that it is Mandatory for each Port have a Seperate MAC Address (Sec 7.12.2) ?

My question :Does this mean that each BPDU frame Txed from a Port be assigned a unique Universally Administered MAC address? Does the frame in the BPDU data part (Bridge Identifier) need to encode a unique MAC address for each of the Ports on my switch?

In the L2 Source Address MAC field I do have a globally unique MAC address for the whole switch

Thanks and Best Regards Kott

Reply to
Kott

That is correct.

Again, correct.

Using one MAC address for all BPDUs emitted from all ports on a single bridge is non-conformant behavior.

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Reply to
Rich Seifert

Hello - Thanks for the clarification . I just connected a L2 Switch from Extreme and found out that from all the Ports , the BPDU has encoded the Same MAC address.this Encoded MAC address is the same as Source MAC Address in the L2 Fields.

thanks and Best Regards Kott

Rich Seifert wrote:

Reply to
Kott

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.