Linksys Cable/DSL modem allows access to WAN

Hi,

I have a 2-year-old Linksys cable/dsl router exhibiting odd behavior. I made no changes. I just woke up one morning and it started doing this:

- when I run ipconfig, my PC shows an IP address assigned by my DSL provider, rather than the usual 192.168.x.x address I assigned it via the router

- when I hit the reset button, nothing happens

- when I power it off/on, it takes about 2 minutes before the lights come back on

- when I try to hit the admin page via 192.168.1.1, the web browser says it can't find the page

The lights are otherwise blinking as normal. I can still connect to the internet through the router, as though my PC is connected directly to the DSL port. Is my router fried?

Reply to
supe
Loading thread data ...

| Hi, | | I have a 2-year-old Linksys cable/dsl router exhibiting odd behavior. I | made no changes. I just woke up one morning and it started doing this: | | - when I run ipconfig, my PC shows an IP address assigned by my DSL | provider, rather than the usual 192.168.x.x address I assigned it via | the router | - when I hit the reset button, nothing happens | - when I power it off/on, it takes about 2 minutes before the lights | come back on | - when I try to hit the admin page via 192.168.1.1, the web browser | says it can't find the page | | The lights are otherwise blinking as normal. I can still connect to the | internet through the router, as though my PC is connected directly to | the DSL port. Is my router fried?

Sounds like the wiring has changed. You have night Gremlins.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

After a wind-induced power outage, my Speedstream router gave up the ghost. I can ping it, but the internal web server is fried, and DHCP no longer worked. I performed a hard reset on it, and all status lights aindicate it's fine, but it isn't.

I replaced it with a Netgear on sale at Staples for $30.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

I replaced the router and all is fine. I don't know what happened to the old one, the software just pooped overnight. Now it acts like a hub.

Reply to
supe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.