fibres optical

Hi. I have some problem please help me. J must know what is happen when we used screen with aluminums foil in the optical fibres cable. Have somebody heard about it? What is happen when light run in core in his situation ray will be behave.

Reply to
Adam
Loading thread data ...

Are you talking fiber-optic cable armored by braid and/or aluminum foil? They would have no effect other than mechanical or potentially forming a ground loop. Fiber signals should be unimpaired.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

In article , Robert Redelmeier wrote: :Adam wrote: :> I have some problem please help me. J must know what is :> happen when we used screen with aluminums foil in the optical :> fibres cable. Have somebody heard about it? What is happen :> when light run in core in his situation ray will be behave.

:Are you talking fiber-optic cable armored by braid and/or :aluminum foil? They would have no effect other than mechanical :or potentially forming a ground loop. Fiber signals should :be unimpaired.

The original message does not seem to have made it to me yet.

Looking around the net a bit, it appears that there -could- be an efffect. The circumstances would have to be such that there was an electric field moving through the foil, and that that was in turn generating a magnetic field... and the magnetic field would have to be fairly strong [which seems unlikely with the small amount of current that could be carried in aluminum foil at temperatures that wouldn't turn the fibre hard and brittle.]

If -somehow- a fairly strong magnetic field surround the optical fibre, you could get at least two effects: Zeeman splitting, and [if I read properly] -decreases- in coherent backscattering... which could imply, I suppose, that the fibre might lose more light. It appears other effects would come into play as well.. increased polarization, Positron Hall Effects...

But at the sorts of magnetic fields likely to be found in everyday life, even if the fibre were fairly close by an industrial electrical transformer, I would be surprised if there was any effect larger than that obtained by doing a really good cleaning of the optical connectors.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Post more information.

Yes, there are fiber optic cables with aluminum corrugated foil armor. Yes, being electrically conductive, they can attract a lightning bolt that can easily destroy the fibers. Also, you can rather easily over-bend this cable and make the aluminum armor crush into fibers effectively destroying them. Other than that I cannot think of any other adverse effect that the aluminum armor might have had on the fibers unless you want to describe your problem in greater detail, and some other ways may be found.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.