Intermittent loss of connectivity on DSL

I have a high-speed line with my phone company and over the last few weeks have been losing connectivity every so often. It is not for a long time, since it is not that apparent in my web surfing, but I also play online games, and the games detect a link loss and cause the game to close. I can then usually log right back in and be back in for the rest of the night, or it will kick me out in 20-30min again...There does not seem to be a pattern

When I contacted my carrier, they blamed the problem on a Linksys router I was using to network my two PCs so they could both access the Internet.

I have since removed that and the problem is still happening. The problem seems to have started after downloading the latest Windows XP Pro SP2 update, but I can't seem to find any reason for it. Auto update is not set on this PC, and the second PC is set to Autoupdate only at 3AM, so nothing should be running that would kick me off.

I was just wondering the following:

1) Has anyone else encountered network problems after downloading the WIN XP service pack 2?

2) Does anyone know of a utility that may be useful in monitoring and diagnosing where the connectivity is being lost? If I could prove to the phone company that it is not my equipment, that would go a long way I think.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Reply to
Steve N.
Loading thread data ...

Hi, My posted message 'network stutter' states exactly the same problem, and strangely enough I'm using a linksys router. ALthough I haven't tried removing it (housemates would not be too pleased) for me the problem arises when downloading large files, the connection 'stops' although I can still browse fine etc. I had put it down to a router setting sharing the connection between four people but if you say that has not helped then maybe it is software? I'm using win98 though and have never had any trouble before on a previous set-up with exactly the same hardware bar the router. I know it's of no help, I just wanted to share the pain. IF you do find out and manage to sort this then would be great if you could let me know, and I'll do the same. Ta. Also if there are any other newsgroups forums with a hearty knowledge base. I have yet to receive a reply here.

Reply to
Simon C

formatting link
works really well, I've used printouts from it to (try to) convince my cable company that they had connectivity problems. [Turns out they didn't want to hear it, and couldn't solve the problem, so I 'solved' it by switching to DSL.]

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.