gigabit and 1000baseT

The very first sentence of Clause 40 of IEEE 802.3 states, "The

1000BASE-T PHY is one of the Gigabit Ethernet family of high-speed CSMA/CD network specifications."

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Reply to
Rich Seifert
Loading thread data ...

There is a discussion related to Linux/390 claiming that 1000baseT is not gigabit ethernet. I believe the claim is that only fiber based systems use the gigabit name.

Now, I do believe that fiber gigabit was available earlier, and at some point the only gigabit ethernet was fiber, but I do not believe that is true anymore.

Is there an official consensus that 1000baseT is gigabit?

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

(snip)

That sounds official enough for me.

It seems that IBM sells two different interfaces for the z/architecture machines, one called gigabit and one as 1000baseT. That is about as far as I understand the discussion.

thanks,

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Seems to be one of those how many angels can dance on the head of a pin discussions.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Did IBM tell you to run STP as opposed to UTP? That's what they were telling us was needed due to FCC requirements. We told them UTP was what we were going to install.

Jay

Reply to
JD

On 2004-10-24, JD wrote: [snip: zseries and GigE and/or 1000BaseT]

I recently did some cabling installation, and it was.. interesting. Getting stuff that is rated cat5e is near impossible if you ask for it. Ask for ``cat5'' (or ``kat5'') and you'll get cat5e, no sweat. But ask for cat5e and they'll swear on everything they can think of they don't have it. And... unshielded I haven't seen yet. It's all FTP. Oh well. Don't ever mention you want GigE though, 'cus that's what they have the shiny orange cat6 for. Or the even shinier orange cat7. w00t.

Reply to
jpd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.