Do I have an Ethernet card?

Does the connector on the cable you are referring to look like an oversized telephone conenctor? It should have room for 8 conductors, although only 4 may me present (Ethernet only uses 4). Does the jack on your PC that it plugs into have a decal/stencil near it that looks kinda like this:

0--| | |--0 | 0--|

If the answers to the above questions are yes, then you have an Ethernet port and you may even have it cabled correctly. Have you tried running the "Network Setup Wizard?"

Reply to
News Me
Loading thread data ...

I've been unsuccessful in trying to get a DSL (SBCYAHOO) to work with my computer. I follow the instructions but when I try to get online I get a message (sorry, didn't write it down) like "couldn't locate a connection" or something like that. One of the troubleshooting checklist items in the manual reads: "Ensure you have a working Ethernet card installed if you are connecting via the Ethernet port on your computer". I don't know if I have an Ethernet card or not. There is a port on the back of the computer that the Ethernet cable that comes with the DSL kit can fit into. So, does that mean I have an Ethernet card?

Reply to
Arthur Bay

If you go into start/controlpanel/networks you should see at least one entry called "local area connection". If it's not cabled correctly to another ethernet device it will say "unplugged". If it sayes "enabled" in means you've connected a good cable correctly but there are still lots of reasons why you can't browse the internet

Reply to
Al Dykes

Go to Control Panel > System, then click on the Hardware Tab, then the Device Manager button. Now click on the '+' sign next to Network Adapter and you should see you Ethernet Adapter listed here. Any question report back what you see listed here.

Reply to
Danny Kile

Reply to
Arthur Bay

You may also have an ethernet port on your m/b but it needs enableing in BIOS

Reply to
Ethan Rayne

And since there was no specification of the type of computer, some laptops have Ethernet RJ45 connectors without the (mini-PCI) Ethernet card actually being installed...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.