Ethernet Card

I could guess ..... perhaps if you also pose your question also in Italian it would make it easier to respond. Here's my understanding:

You have 2 computers and a router that connects to a DSL connection.

You recently installed an ethernet card / network interface card (NIC) into one of the computers. You want to communicate between the computers via ethernet. You also want each computer to connect to the internet via the router.

When you connect the new computer to the router, the light on the new ethernet card flashes. When you connect the two computers together the light on the new ethernet card flashes rapidly.

It appears that you likely have hardware problems - with the blinking lights.

1) If you are connecting the computers via the router, make sure that the cables are straight-through cables and neither of them is a crossover cable. (Unless the router provides automatic MDI/MDI-X autosensing).

2) If you are testing the peer-to-peer connection without the router, make sure that the cable is a crossover cable.

How to tell a straight vs. a crossover cable? Hold the two connectors so that they are pointing in the same direction. Have the flat / transparent side of the connector up - so you can see into the connector easily. A straight cable will have the wires arranged the same on both connectors. A crossover cable will have the wires arranged differently - from one connector to the other. See:

formatting link
Once the cables are correct, you will want to make sure the TCP/IP settings on the computers are OK. With the router, the simplest way (assuming Windows) is this:

1) Set the TCP/IP to get an IP address automatically on both computers. 2) Enable DHCP on the router.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Marshall
Loading thread data ...

Hello to all, I have bought one Ethernet card of the Hamlet. I have mounted it, I have connected the router to the card, but when I ignite the router the spy of the ethernet flashes. And if I try to connect itself with a program peer to peer, begins to flash fastly. I have called my telephone company and they have said to me that probably I must shape the card ethernet. How it is made?

Reply to
Homer J.

Fred Marshall ha scritto:

No, you don't understand. Now i write the message in italian:

Ho comprato una scheda Ethernet della Hamlet. L'ho montata, ho collegato il router alla scheda, ma quando accendo il router la spia dell'ethernet lampeggia. Poi se provo a connettermi con un programma peer to peer, comincia a lampeggiare velocemente. Ho chiamato la mia compagnia telefonica e mi hanno detto che probabilmente devo configurare la scheda ethernet. Mmm... configurare? E come si fa?

Reply to
Homer J.

Start with ethernet card's manufacturer diagnostics (obtain from manufacturer's web site). IOW execute software on the card directly - without using Windows (or whatever Operating System provided). The system has both a hardware and a software half. Test hardware first and without involving software. First execute the manufacturer's ethernet card diagnostic (maybe only using DOS so that diagnostic can talk directly to ethernet card).

The manufacturer's diagnostics has two parts. The first part only proves that ethernet card's 'computer' talks to the motherboard's 'computer'. The last test verifies ethernet card's output transceivers and ethernet cable. That means the new ethernet card must be same manufacturer as the other test card. Ethernet card diagnostic executes on both cards so that each card will exchange data with the other card - a worst case test.

Once hardware diagnostics have executed successfully, then start testing the ethernet card using operating system software. Since card passed hardware diagnostics, then any problem must be in operating system software.

List the computer and > Hello to all, I have bought one Ethernet card of the Hamlet. I have

Reply to
w_tom

Homer,

Well, the Italian didn't help me. Sorry.

What part did I get wrong? I'm trying to determine the sort of problem you're experiencing.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Marshall

Hello, everyone. I bought an ethernet card at a ham-fest. I've

installed it and plugged in to my home network. When I turn on

the switch I get a link light. And when I try to download movies

and music using p2p, the activity light blinks rapidly. This sucks

my bandwidth, so I called my ISP and they said that if I want to pirate

I may need to do traffic shaping. How do I do that?

Your basic problem is that you're trying to send too much stuff over the network. The simple fix is to not run your p2p applications, since these will suck all of your bandwidth regardless of whether you are trying to download something at the time. Also remember that your uplink speed is probably a lot less than your download speed. So it can easily be maxed out.

The ISP was suggesting that you might be able to control the problem if you do something called traffic shaping. Basically, you tell your computer to limit the speed at which it talks to others. For example, with BitTorrent (a common p2p program) you can specify the maximum upload speed. Setting this to be, say, half of your total uplink bandwidth would probably solve your problem. Perhaps the other p2p applications have a similar option?

There are also host-based (rate-limiting) and network-based (QOS) tools for traffic shaping, but you haven't told us enough details of your setup to make recommendations.

Damian Menscher

Reply to
Damian Menscher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.