Functioning Ethernet card

I am trying to help a friend switch from using a USB connection to the cable modem to the use of an ethernet connection so that he can then add a router. We have installed the card (tried both a D-link and a Link Sys card. Installed drivers and, when I go to the system hardware, it says the card is working properly. When I try to install the cable modem as ethernet it hangs up and says there is a problem with the connection and that we may not be able to access the internet. The computer is a Dell Dimension 8100. About 5 years old. A Pentium (R) 4 CPU 1300 MHz. 1.3 GHz, 128 MB of Ram. The computer doesn't seem to want to allow the proper installation of the card. Does anyone have any suggestions or solution of a similar experience?

Reply to
Mel
Loading thread data ...

A couple of random thoughts:

Make sure the USB connection to the cable modem is disconnected (and the cable modem power cycled) before connectiing the ethernet port.

What does the "ethernet port status light" on the cable box show when you plug in the ethernet? What do the lights on the Ethernet card in the computer show? What does the (software) status of the Ethernet card ("Show icon in notification area when connected" should be checked) show up as?

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

In article , Mel wrote: :I am trying to help a friend switch from using a USB connection to the :cable modem to the use of an ethernet connection so that he can then :add a router. We have installed the card (tried both a D-link and a

:hardware, it says the card is working properly. When I try to install :the cable modem as ethernet it hangs up and says there is a problem :with the connection and that we may not be able to access the internet.

Some ISPs lock down to specific MAC addresses, so if you change ethernet cards or insert an intermediate device then the connection stops working.

If you have a laptop handy, take it and a cross-over cable and connect the laptop to the ethernet connection on the PC. If you can get the two to talk to each other then the problem is further along.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Thanks. Some good ideas.

Mel Fuller

Reply to
Mel

I briefly worked in the Call Center of a national DSL provider some years back. This was a common problem with thier DSL modem (which could also function as a router/gateway). It was necessary to do a factory default to make it switch from USB to Ethernet. This was accomplished by putting a bent paper clip into a tiny hole in the back of the unit and pressing the pushbutton inside and while holding the pushbutton depressed, powering the unit up.

NM

Reply to
News Me

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.