Difficulty connecting to Internet via Lan with Win95

I am trying to reconnect computer to the Internet Via a network (Lan) In

the past it connected successfully using Win 98. Now it has an OS of

Win 95 - the adapter is the same as before, a Realtek 8139-Series PC1

NIC. But I cannot connect it.

I have access to another computer on the network running on Windows XP.

So I have the addresses of the Default Gateway, DNS Server and Submask

(I assume they will be the same for all computers on the network). I am

unsure of the Host name (is this significant, or can it be obtained

from the computer which is working?).

Win 95 Device manager tells me the Adapter driver is properly installed

- no conflicts. Also all cables are correct. Bottom line: Can anyone

give me step by step instructions for this installation?

Reply to
EamonX1
Loading thread data ...

In article , EamonX1 wrote: :I am trying to reconnect computer to the Internet Via a network (Lan) In :the past it connected successfully using Win 98. Now it has an OS of :Win 95 - the adapter is the same as before, a Realtek 8139-Series PC1 :NIC. But I cannot connect it.

My PC support team has told me they have had a fair number of problems with Realtek NICs. I told them that the time they were spending trying to locate and fix the problems was much more than the card initial price savings, and to just buy better NICs.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

The default Gateway, Subnet Mask and DNS should be the sane. The Workgroup should be the same on each PC. The computer name should be unique on each PC. Try ping you own IP address what ever that maybe some thing like 192.168.1.3. The command from a DOS prompt would be ping

192.168.1.3 or whatever your address is. Also try pinging your default gateway, post your results. While you are at the DOS prompt type ipconfig /all, and post the results.
Reply to
Danny Kile

Open a command prompt and type ping 216.109.118.77 That is the IP of

formatting link

If that is successful, you have a connection to the internet. Now type ping

formatting link

If that times out, you have a DNS issue on that computer. Could be you need to download a utility called winsockfix and repair TCP/IP as well.

Reply to
CJ

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.