Can't connect with one computer.

I have just replaced my old wireless router/modem with a new belkin model F7d1401 for better security. works fine with two computers, but my Acer netbook will not connect on wireless. Fine with ethernet, but on wireless it connects to router, but will not access the web. I've never had a problem with this machine connecting elsewhere. Belkin says it must be network adapter aftrer they'd walked me through everything they could think of. - but I don't believe it's the computer at all. It just hooks straight on to hot-spots etc. Any ideas?.

Reply to
Fred
Loading thread data ...

The model number and operating system of your problem Acer might be helpful.

My guess(tm) is that you haven't sucessfully connected to your new Belkin wireless router because you're trying to use the same SSID as the old router. That's fine, but your unspecified model Acer still has the old configuration file for that SSID, and is trying to login using the old security rules and MAC address. Dive into the wireless config for your unspecified operating system, and DELETE the entry for the SSID of your systems. Then, re-create the connection and it should work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes. Have done all that, but no luck. Have even assigned new SSID and password just because I'd run out of ideas. Still no joy.

Reply to
Fred

Thanks for not bothering to supply the operating system of the Acer.

Are you in the UK? The Belkin F7D1401 seems to be a UK only product:

Belkin has the irritating habit of shipping buggy firmware that must be updated to be useful. Check the Belkin web pile for updates.

Are you using WEP, WPA, or WPA2 encryption? [ ] WEP [ ] WPA [ ] WPA2 [ ] None of the above

Try disabling wireless security completely in the Belkin and see if it works. Once you get that working, try WPA2 encryption.

If WEP, use the hex encryption key, not the ASCII. There are problems converting from ASCII to Hex in many routers.

Make sure your unspecified operating system on the Acer laptop does NOT have a static IP address or DNS server configured in the settings for the wireless device.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

(...)

One more. I just wasted about 15 minutes trying to figure out why my Toshiblah laptop wi-fi would connect, but not route. Running various diagnostics, didn't show anything odd. I eventually found that I had to unplug the ethernet cable before the wireless could be used to shovel packets to the router. No clue why as it didn't do this in the past. I'll play with the "route print" command later to see if the route metric is the problem.

Anyway, unplug the ethernet cable from the Acer laptop when testing the wireless and see if that helps.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Apologies - XP. Tried all the above - no luck.. Found a suggestion on web to uninstall driver and install a different specified oe which has apparantely worked for some - but no luck there. Am in New Zealand. Model is sold here.

Reply to
Fred

Ok, XP. You might want to read my previous rant to see what other info you didn't supply. Just look for the question marks.

Did you check if you have the latest firmware? See my previous rant. If you did do an update, some firmware makes a mess that requires a hard reset (stomp on the reset button). If you don't have the Belkin stuffed full of non-default settings, you might want to punch reset and start over.

What encryption (WEP, WPA, WPA, none)? See my previous rant.

Did you try it without any wireless encryption? See my previous rant.

Unplug the ethernet cable, open an MSDOS window, and run: ipconfig Belkin defaults to a gateway IP of 192.168.2.1. Is this what ipconfig is showing or something else? (Incidentally, I trashed about 30 minutes last week troubleshooting an HP wireless inkjet printer, only to find that it was connecting to the neighbors wide open wireless router). If ipconfig says 169.254.xxx.xxx, you're not getting a DHCP assigned IP address from the Belkin router.

XP has some connection progress diagnostics which can be enabled. Warning... they're verbose and ugly, but if you do enough digging, you can get a clue where it's screwing up. netsh ras set tracing * enabled netsh ras set tracing * disabled

Note that this only works with WZC running, and not some other connection manager. Ummm.... are you using WZC (Wireless Zero Config)?

You haven't supplied enough info to determine at what point the connection is failing. Basically, it's at one of these; 1. finding the driver 2. finding the adapter 3. association with the AP 4. negotiating a common encryption key 5. 802.1x authentication. 6. DHCP assigned IP address. The above verbose trace will show these in sequence. You can also get a rough idea by looking at the WZC connection status. If it says "Connected" under "View Available Networks", that really only means that you have successfully associated with the wireless access point. It does NOT mean that you have successfully negotiated a common encryption key, authenticated, or received a DHCP address. If it says connected, then try: ipconfig (did you get an IP other than 169.254.xxx.xxx)?? arp -a (is there an IP address associated with the MAC address of the wireless adapter)?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It's an Acer Aspire one - netbook model AOA 150 I believe I have done all the above (other than run ipconfig) - with WPA enabled and again disabled. With ethernet in and out - Says connected and light on router shows solid green - which it should if connected to internet, but won't access any web pages, outlook express or skype. Have looked for driver updates - none. ipconfig window flashes on then off before I can note anything. Have run cmd with belkin help desk talking me through. I can access internet with a plug in usb net connector as well as the ethernet. Just not with the built in wireless, yet it seems to access every other router I have tried. Belkin says it's an Acer problem, but so far I have had no response from Acer using their online help service. I have deleted all previous connections and reset router several times. In New Zealand.Think I've answered all you question marks.

Reply to
Fred

I have the same laptop but with Limpus Linux installed and an undersized 2GB SSD disk drive.

Wi-Fi®: (dual-band quad-mode 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N) Wi-Fi CERTIFIED® network connection, featuring MIMO technology

Ok, I'll guess that this is an Intel 3945ABG MiniPCI card. If so (please verify even if you have open the cover and look at the card), I suggest you install the Intel Proset drivers instead of whatever Acer has to offer.

Suit yourself. I won't ask you to perform any un-natural acts, such as supplying what happens when you run the commands and tests I've suggested. See the question marks in my previous rants.

Again, connected only means that the wireless has associated with the SSID of your access point. It does NOT mean that it has successfully negotiated an encryption key, or authenticated with 802.1x.

See above URL if my guess as to your wireless card is correct.

I assumed that you knew how to run an MSDOS command. Try: Start -> Run -> cmd ifconfig

Belkin seems quite good at helping with problem running their hardware. They're useless at fixing problems that do NOT involve their hardware, such as the current problem with your Acer.

What's a USB net connector? Is that a wired USB to ethernet adapter?

Nope, but that's now your problem. The quality of my help will depend upon the clarity of your description and your ability to answer my questions. Sorry, but it's 1AM here, I'm dead tired, and am too lazy to repeat all the questions. You're not going to get anywhere unless you actually run some diagnostics and inspect your settings. I'm not going to be much help unless you supply the results.

For example, did you turn on creating an error log file with: netsh ras set tracing * enabled netsh ras set tracing * disabled and look at the log to see where the connection fails? Nope. (Note that you have to check "Let Windoze run the wireless settings" for this to work. Using Proset will clobber the logging, but Proset has it's own built in diagnostics.

Did you check if the wireless connection properties: Control Panel -> Network -> right click on the wireless device and select properties and check the TCP/IP settings to make sure they both say something like: "Get settings from server..."? What you're describing seems to suggest a DCHP failure of some sort.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes I have done above and everything else my limited technical ability will allow. USB connector is a wireless connector which I use to connect my old non-wireless Dell laptop to internet. Sorry but vI am unable to provide more information.

Reply to
Fred

Well, is it a secret? Or do you not know how to paste the output form the commands into your newsreader? Or do you not know how to read the output and type it in to your newsreader?

Here are some further suggestions. They are not much different from Jeff's, merely expressed slightly differently.

Please post the output of the following commands run on your PC.

Make a connection attempt then once that has finished attempting - run the following commands in a command window and post the output here.

netsh interface ipv4 sh config sh arp ipconfig /all route print

If you like you can send the results to a file, say net-info.txt, as follows

netsh interface ipv4 sh config > net-info.txt arp -a >> net-info.txt ipconfig /all >> net-info.txt route print >> net-info.txt

You can then open this file with notepad or whatever is your preferred poison.

Rather that you guessing what might be useful please just post all of the output. Miss nothing out.

Reply to
bod43

Well, is it a secret? Or do you not know how to paste the output form the commands into your newsreader? Or do you not know how to read the output and type it in to your newsreader?

Here are some further suggestions. They are not much different from Jeff's, merely expressed slightly differently.

Please post the output of the following commands run on your PC.

Make a connection attempt then once that has finished attempting - run the following commands in a command window and post the output here.

netsh interface ipv4 sh config sh arp ipconfig /all route print

If you like you can send the results to a file, say net-info.txt, as follows

netsh interface ipv4 sh config > net-info.txt arp -a >> net-info.txt ipconfig /all >> net-info.txt route print >> net-info.txt

You can then open this file with notepad or whatever is your preferred poison.

Rather that you guessing what might be useful please just post all of the output. Miss nothing out.

I have done that but sorry, I do not know how to copy/paste results. Can't copy it. Can select all but not copy.

Reply to
Fred

Copy and Paste are a bit different in an MSDOS window.

Move the mouse to the upper left edge of the block of text you want to copy.

Right-Click and select "Mark".

Move the mouse on top of the flashing "Mark", step on the left mouse button, and drag the highlighted area to the lower right edge of the block of text you want to copy.

Hit . The highlighted text will be become non-highlighted, which is a bit anti-climactic.

Open Windoze Notepad (not WordPad, Word, Office, or similar editor). Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Notepad Move the mouse into the Notepad window. Right-click and select "Paste".

Continue to paste output until you have something presentable. This will take a bit of practice to get right if this is the first time you've done this.

When it looks nice, save it with: File -> Save As -> filename.txt

There are some other tricks:

but the above should be sufficient.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>

C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>netsh interface ipv4 sh config The following command was not found: interface ipv4 sh config.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>sh arp 'sh' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Acer Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast E thernet NIC Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-68-EA-B5-F6

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection :

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Ad apter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-69-05-4A-1E Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 19 September 2010

1:59:31 p. m. Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, 19 January 2038 3:14:07 p.m .

C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>route print =========================================================================== Interface List

0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface 0x90002 ...00 1e 68 ea b5 f6 ...... Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport 0x130003 ...00 22 69 05 4a 1e ...... Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport =========================================================================== =========================================================================== Active Routes: Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.2.1 192.168.2.2 25 127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1 169.254.0.0 255.255.0.0 192.168.2.2 192.168.2.2 20 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.2 192.168.2.2 25 192.168.2.2 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 25 192.168.2.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.2.2 192.168.2.2 25 224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 192.168.2.2 192.168.2.2 25 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.2.2 192.168.2.2 1 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.2.2 90002 1 Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1 =========================================================================== Persistent Routes: None

above is result. Sorry I'm not cled up like you guys, but am learning (I hope) Not sure if I posted this but wless connector is Atheros 500 7EG and driver is 7.6.0.224

Reply to
Fred

Sigh. Try: netsh interface ip show It will list a collection of interesting IP diagnostic commands most of which are made for Server 2003. The one's that are interesting for XP are: netsh interface ip show config netsh interface ip show dns

Same problem. I think he wanted: arp -a

It's working. The above shows that you're using DHCP to get your IP address and DNS address. The IP addresses are all correct.

It's also working. This is what the route table should look like when you have made a successful wireless network connection. More simply, the wireless is working, the TCP/IP stack is working, but something else is apparently giving you the impression that you can't browse the net. How are you determining that you can't get online? Perhaps your browser is set to "work offline"?

You're learning. Wireless troubleshooting is NOT easy, so don't be so hard on yourself. So, let's do some really basic testing (without the browser).

You didn't, but it's good to know. I rather like Atheros products (mostly because they contribute open source drivers to Linux). However, note that not everyone is happy with the card:

For XP: Latest Atheros driver from Acer is 7.6.0.264. Latest Atheros driver from Atheros is 7.7.0.523 but this is the best I could find:

Save it for later or look for a better driver.

Nothing on the NZ Acer site for a wireless driver:

However, wireless is working, so leave it alone for now.

Ok, some simple tests:

Start -> run -> cmd ping 192.168.2.1 (ping the Belkin) Does it work?

ping 63.198.98.51 (ping my palatial office) Does that work?

ping

formatting link
Does that work?

All of these should return 4 lines of techy gibberish and declare 0% loss. Any lost packets or errors?

If all the above work, then something might be wrong with the browser. I'll need to know what browser you're using (IE8, Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc) and how you're testing it. Make sure you don't have them set to "work offline".

Also try:

and see if you can get to the Belkin router configuration pages. If it's not the browser, then the next step will be to dive into the Belkin router settings.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I just had a horrible thought. By any chance to you have Norton Internet Security or Norton 360 installed? These [deleted expletive] programs have a misfeature where the block access to networks that the machine has not previously seen. When you replaced the router with a new device, Norton thinks it's an "unknown network" and blocks it if you fail to answer its questions correctly.

Clues:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

First - Am currently using MS security essentials as are 2 other computers I've tried but that connect. Also still connects to other routers I have tried on this computer. Browser makes no difference have tried Chrome and Firefox. N Definitely ot working offline - just will not display web pages, or connect skype or access email. On trying to access homepage it just says connecting for a minute or so then 'cannot display web page' shows To recap - will still connect to old router. and others. Have tried four other computers on new router - no problem so failure is between this Acer and new router only. Light on router shows color green - not flashing - which should mean connected to router and router to internet according to manual. Also works wirelessly with usb plug in connector.

Here's latest result from cmd/netsh interface ip show.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>netsh interface ip show config

Configuration for interface "Local Area Connection" DHCP enabled: Yes InterfaceMetric: 0 DNS servers configured through DHCP: 192.168.2.1 WINS servers configured through DHCP: None Register with which suffix: Primary only

Configuration for interface "Wireless Network Connection " DHCP enabled: Yes InterfaceMetric: 0 DNS servers configured through DHCP: 192.168.2.1 WINS servers configured through DHCP: None Register with which suffix: Primary only

C:\Documents and Settings\Tony> netsh interface ip show dns

Also have tried driver 7.6.0.264 but it says something like not for atheros

5007EG. Have had to revert to 7.6.0.224

Hope I'm getting there. If you were any closer, I'd buy you a beer about now.

Reply to
Fred

Good choice of anti-virus. Works for me and I like the price.

Please try the 3 ping tests I suggested in my previous rant. That will hopefully show where things are screwing up. It might be something simple, like DNS.

Basically, that says that there's a problem on the Acer Aspire One.

Perfect. It's working. Please use either the wireless or the ethernet cable, but not both at the same time. You indicated in your first message that everything works normally using the ethernet interface, but fails with wireless. Therefore, it's something in the wireless configuration, IP stack, firewall, routing, or whatever.

?????

Also, run: ipconfig /displaydns and tell me if you get a long list of resolved addresses, or a short list (which suggests that DNS is having a bad day). No need to post the output. If the list looks like garbage, run: ipconfig /flushdns and try again after trying to look at some web pages.

You can also test DNS with nslookup. It should look something like this: c:\>nslookup Default Server: DD-WRT-built-14896 Address: 192.168.1.1 > set type=ANY >

formatting link
Server: DD-WRT-built-14896 Address: 192.168.1.1 Non-authoritative answer:
formatting link
canonical name =
formatting link
google.com nameserver = ns4.google.com google.com nameserver = ns2.google.com (etc...)

Ok. Leave the driver alone and run the 3 ping tests I suggested.

I don't drink beer. This week, I'm into green teas.

You're sloooooowly eliminating potential culprits and will eventually hit something that should be obvious. Besides, I like mysteries. None of the diagnostic output you posted show anything wrong. Better yet, they show that you have successfully made a wireless connection, received DHCP supplied IP and DNS addresses, and built a working routing table. The 3 ping tests will tell me more.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Ran ipconfig /flushdns after getting long list. No luck.

Start -> run -> cmd ping 192.168.2.1 (ping the Belkin) Does it work?

Result

C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>ping 192.168.2.1 (ping the Belkin) Bad parameter (ping.

ping 63.198.98.51 (ping my palatial office) Does that work?

Result

C:\Documents and Settings\Tony> ping 63.198.98.51 (ping my palatial office) Bad parameter (ping.

ping

formatting link
Does that work?

Nothing showing. Still no luck connecting. I don't drink beer either, but still would have bought you one. Doesn't seem right to offer to shout someone a green tea!

Reply to
Fred

The only part you should be entering is "ping 192.168.2.1" but without the quotes. The phrase "(ping the Belkin)" was a descriptive note to let you know what the command does.

Same as above. Just enter "ping 63.198.98.51" without the quotes.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.