Can't See The Network

I just added a Win98SE desktop (Gateway 19999 E-3200 with built-in NIC) to my home network with a Linksys wireless WRT54G router. The desktop accesses the network via an SMC 2602W wireless PCI card that's working perfectly. I can surf the net just fine. My other (Win 95, 98 and XP) computers can see this new desktop and share files with it just fine. The only problem is that on this newly added desktop, when I click on Network Neighborhood, I can't see any of the other computers...yet they can see me. Yes, the workgroup is spelled right, and the C drive is set up to share. The setup on this Win98 computer is identical to another Win98 desktop on the same network. When I ping two of the other PC's, the packets return normally. Everything is working perfectly, except I can't see any of the other computers on the network. All the other computers on the network see each other just fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! Scott

Reply to
Scott
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like a firewall problem. Try configuring your network Ip-adresses as belonging in the trusted zone (or temporarily disabling your firewall) to find out.

Paul

"Scott" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@uslink.net...

Reply to
Paul

Paul,

There's no firewall on the new desktop system. I disabled the firewall on the Linksys router, but no change. This is a real puzzler. I even disabled the onboard NIC card and installed a D-Link network card...same results. This is a used computer with a brand new hard drive on which I have installed Win98 SE. It was a clean installation. I can surf the net just fine, other computers can see this one, but this desktop cannot see any other computer. I even ran SFC. It found a corrupted setup dll file, which I restored. No change.

I'm not going to be able to use this desktop until I figure out how to get it to see the other computers.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks! Scott

Paul wrote:

Reply to
Scott

open windows explorer, go to tools -> map network drive hit the "browse" button and then browse to "my network places" and expand that to show "computers near me" (might be in "entire network" don't remember) expand that and pick the computer that you want to be able to connect to. IE "Desktop" or "Office", it should expand to show you what it shared out on it, you did share out folders or drives on the computers you are trying to see, right? Choose the shared folder or drive that you want to connect to, check the recconect at logon if you want to always connect up when both computers are on and then hit finish.

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Case

Paul,

When I hit Start/Find/Computers and enter any of the names of the workgroup computers, they show up...but not under Network Neighborhood.

Scott

Paul wrote:

Reply to
Scott

Ryan,

that would be good advice for my Win XP machine, but Win98 SE doesn't show a Browse button when mapping a drive. The problem is that I'm not logged on to the network. I can surf the net and see this desktop from the other computers, but I can't see them. I've checked and rechecked every setting there is, and everything is set up normally. I even moved the hard drive to the same model computer (a spare)...thinking it could be a PCI card conflict (which Microsoft alludes to in their Knowledge Base on this question), but it made no difference. So, it's some kind of software issue. I even removed Client For Microsoft Networks and then added it back. I'm stumped. I've set up a dozen or so computers, but I've never seen a problem like this.

Scott

Reply to
Scott
L

Lynn,

OK, just what do you mean by a floppy install disk? What program?

Thanks! Scott

Reply to
Scott

Scott wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uslink.net:

I recall having something of the same problem setting up my 3-PC home network (Windows 95, ME and XP mix). Some of the visibility was one-way, but Find-Computers could find each from the other. Finally did a RTFM approach, made a floppy install disk on the most recent machine (XP), and ran it on the other two. End of problem! I have no idea what that disk did differently - all the before-after settings I could find looked the same as I had manually configured on each machine - but since then it has been working fine for months. Everybody shows up under Network Places (or whatever it might be called in each OS) under MSHOME now.

Lynn Killingbeck

Reply to
LC Killingbeck

Scott wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uslink.net:

Found this in one of my "for Dummies", "for Idiots", for "complete beginners", etc. books, by the way. Just my level!

Get into the "Network Setup Wizard". Under the Start button Settings, or double-click on NetworkPlaces. It's a step-by-step procedure. Near the end, there is a button for "Create a Network Setup Disk". Select this and make the disk. Then just run the setup program that was written to that disk, on the other computers in the network.

Lynn Killingbeck

Reply to
LC Killingbeck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.