XP, Windows 98 and Netgear problem

I have been using a Netgear MR814 Router and Netgear MA101 wireless adapter for over a year now. I just upgraded from ME to XP Home Edition on the host computer. I think I have tried everything possible to get the Win98 PC with wireless adapter to connect to the internet, email and IM and cannot seem to find what I am missing. When I originally did the network, it was plug and play. It worked great.

I also have PC-cillin running on both computers.

ipconfig /all

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 Primary WINS Server . . . . : Secondary WINS Server . . . : Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 12 29 04 3:54:29 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

2 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR MA101 USB Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-09-5B-37-04-E4 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 Primary WINS Server . . . . : Secondary WINS Server . . . : Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 12 29 04 3:54:43 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

I can ping 68.142.226.41 but nothing when I try

formatting link
or
formatting link
on the WIN 98 PC.

Home set up is basic - two Dell PCs - host PC 4100 P3 running XP with SP2 other PC - Dell Optiplex P2. Motorola SB4200 Surfboard Cable Modem connected to Netgear MR814 Router

Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Craig
Loading thread data ...

Where would I set that up? In the Router setup? I don't recall having to do that when I first set it this up before the upgrade to XP on the host.

Reply to
Craig

wireless

internet,

great.

Im a little confused. You say you have 2 computers, one is running XP, the other win98. Both worked until you upgraded the ME to XP. You call the 4100 the host, what is it hosting?

Reply to
Airhead

What meant was the 4100 has the connection to the internet - cable modem into mr814 router.. The 98 was accessing the internet, email fine and then stopped after the 4100 was upgraded to XP.

Reply to
Craig

Have you set up dns anywhere or the router set as a dns proxy? If you can get IP and not name, its usually a DNS issue. There is no mention of DNS in your settings. Is the router setup with dns or to act as a dns proxy?

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

Reply to
Craig

You have turned Internet connection sharing back on? I'm confused how you are setup. How are each of the computers physically connected to eachother and how is the router connected?

You say the modem is in the router. Ok, so how do the two computers connect to the router?

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

And dhcp is working ok. Well upgrade of ME pc to XP would not affect connection from router to win98 machine. Do either pc's have a dns server listed?

when you do ipconfig/all or even looking at the connection status on XP it should tell you..(right click connection in network connections, select status, then details). e.g results of mine on xp =

C:> ipconfig /all

Physical Address: left blank deliberately IP Address: 192.168.2.5 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1 DHCP Server: 192.168.2.1 Lease Obtained: 30/12/2004 13:09:53 Lease Expires: 19/01/2038 03:14:07 DNS Server: 192.168.2.1 WINS Server:

The dns server address will usually be the router hosting the dhcp service. In many cases you have an option on your router to add in the dns servers of your ISP in this case plusnet, then the router acts as a dns proxy to those dns servers.

On windows 95/98 it might be winipcfg to get the same lists up.

(i.e. start > run > winipcfg )

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

meant to add:

on win98: to make sure dns is running:- 1.. Click on the Network icon in Control Panel. 2.. Select TCP/IP Protocol and click Properties 3.. Select Bindings and ensure Client for Microsoft Networks is ticked 4.. Select DNS, tick Enable DNS, enter a host name - e.g win98home in Host and I think anything again in Domain 5.. Type 192.168.0.1 in DNS server search order and click Add This is assuming that dns is enabled and setup properly on the router, and the win98 machine is not picking it up. Someone else may correct me for the host and domain bit, but I think they are only really useful if you have your own domain name so I don't think the hostname / domain matter much other than you have to have something in them.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

Daneil,

thanks for all your help. I tried you suggestions but here is what I did. I connected the router and cable modem to the 98 machine then installed the MA101 adapter to the XP machine and within 1/2 hour all are working and connected.

I will keep this configuration until the next upgrade. Maybe an new computer for '05 and replace the 98 machine.

Thanks aga>meant to add:

Reply to
Craig

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.