various HW questions on my recent find...

I acquired a 7206 with NPE-200 real cheap, but it also "issues". I am not very familiar with the 7200 series, so I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I want to buy some parts to beef it up and get it ready to Prod use. I intend to use it as an edge router running BGP with two uplinks (T1 and 100Mb ethernet handoff, from two different providers).

The first major issue I see is the unit does not appear to be able to save configurations. When I bring it up and config it, then do write mem, reload. When it reboots, its back to square one, as if I never touched it. So something is wrong somewhere with the flash. But I dont know what.

Visually, the NPE-200 boards has 4 DIMM slots, two are filled, looks to be very old and small amount. The C7200-I/O-FE boards has two empty PC card slots, and on the inside has a single FLASH SIMM slot. That pretty much about it. Below is a show ver. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Do I just need to get a new flash simm and some more ram? Or do I need a PC card, etc.,.

Thanks, John

Router(boot)>show ver Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) 7200 Software (C7200-BOOT-M), Version 12.0(27), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 09-Jun-03 21:57 by srani Image text-base: 0x60008900, data-base: 0x60606000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(13)CA, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc

1)

Router uptime is 0 minutes System restarted by reload Running default software

cisco 7206 (NPE200) processor with 26624K/6144K bytes of memory. R5000 processor, Implementation 35, Revision 2.1 (512KB Level 2 Cache) Last reset from power-on Bridging software. X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 8 Serial network interface(s) 125K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 4096K bytes of packet SRAM memory.

4096K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 256K). Configuration register is 0x142

Router(boot)>

Reply to
essenz
Loading thread data ...

config reg is in password recovery mode which is why it appears to be not saving the config.

conf t config-register 0x102 wr mem reload

That'll fix that.

Memory, you you're going to need lots more. Both DRAM and Flash. You only got 32M DRam and 4M flash. Memoryx.com has some decent pricing on cisco approved memory.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

Thanks Brian. I thought maybe there was something wrong with the memory, but the password recovery register makes sense - I remember doing that in a 3512XL.

So I can navigate the hardware with faith... The DRAM are the DIMMS on the NPE board right. And as for the flash, I imagine that is the single SIMM slot on the I/O board.

Question, what are the PC cards for? I see alot of 7206 units on ebay that come with a PC card, and even claim to run the IOS of it... Is there any particular reason to do that?

This might be a dumb question, but... Where is the IOS stored? Its not on that 4Mb flash SIMM is it? If it was, and I upgrade it with a larger SIMM, I would lose my IOS wouldn't I?

-John

Reply to
essenz

You can tell by the "(boot)" prompt that you post. Thats your first tipoff, besides looking at the config register report.

Check out the MemoryX site that he quoted. It'll show you a picture of the board, the memory slots laid out, tell you if you need to install in pairs, etc. But yes, generally until you get to the gigabit processor, your DRAM is on the NPE, and the Flash is on the I/O controller, which ever models of those particular two that you happen to have. You must have the earliest I/O controller that still had IOS Flash on it. The later ones did away with this as part of your next question.

They hold the Flash memory. Officially, Cisco supports only linear flash cards in the slots, which are small & extremely expensive. One thing you could do though is to put in an ATA Compact Flash into a CF to PC Card adaptor, make sure to format it on that system, and use it. The I/O controllers do support both linear flash as well as ATA flash.

Yes, yours is on the 4MB flash SIMM. Later I/O controllers did without it, and just started using linear flash cards in the PC Card slots.

If you remove the Flash SIMM, then yes, the IOS is gone, although you will still have your boot IOS image. You should save your IOS image up to a TFTP server first (copy flash: tftp:) and you can then recover it.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks for info. The memory X site has the PC card flash modules for around $200. So I could get one of those, then copy my IOS from flash SIMM over to the PC card flash, and them I'm all set - and can scrap that old 4Mb SIMM. That SIMM is really old, so I would feel much better with my IOS running on the newer PC card flash.

I imagine there is boot setting that tells the 7200 to grab the IOS from the PC card instead of the onboard SIMM, right? Well, thats down the road. Will be ordering my parts now.

-john

Reply to
essenz

essenz a écrit :

Keep it. There's no problem using it along one or two PC flash cards. It's used for storing the bootloader that can be required for managing some hardware and for booting off a tftp server. It's also used by the router to copy "crashinfo" files when the router has problems. These can be used by Cisco to determine the cause of a problem.

The SIMM is called "bootflash:" The PC card are called "slot0:" and "slot1:".

To boot from a file called "foobar.bin" on slot0:, you would type;

Router# configure terminal Router(config)# boot system flash slot0:foobar.bin Router(config)# end Router# copy running-config startup-config

Take note that a new "boot" statement will get added after any existing ones, so if you already have:

boot system flash bootflash:

and you simply type the comands as listed above, you'll end up with:

boot system flash bootflash: boot system flash slot0:foobar.bin

And your system will still boot from whatever was in the bootflash:

Reply to
Francois Labreque

The age of the 4Mb SIMM worries me though (8+ years). Can you replace it? The memoryX site only had DRAM and Flash PC cards, didn't see anything for flash SIMMs...

-John

Francois Labreque wrote:

Reply to
essenz

Its unlikely that the former owner of the card rewrote it all that many times. I doubt its anywhere close to the 10,000 writes a Flash chip is good for or whatever it was for the earlier ones.

Even if you had the router crashing all the time with crashinfo files all over, they are still limited to a fixed ammount (30? or so) so things don't get out of hand.

I wouldn't worry about a flash chip going bad in a cisco.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks to everyone for their input.

One final question.

Certa router(boot)#:

Dont I have to do something to get rid of that "boot" thing. I have a feeling thats why some core commands are missing.

-john

Doug Mc> >The age of the 4Mb SIMM worries me though (8+ years). Can you replace

Reply to
essenz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.