Problems with 2621

Hi,

I am having problems with a 2621 whereby the router is not showing any of its interfaces.

I have just upgraded the IOS to 12.2-5 and it did not make any difference.

The router boots fine, has two fast ethernet onboard and one wic2t card. Removing the wic card makes no difference.

Here is the output from show run

----- Router#sh run

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 310 bytes ! version 12.2 service timestamps debug uptime service timestamps log uptime no service password-encryption no service dhcp ! hostname Router ! logging buffered 10000 debugging ! ip subnet-zero ! ! !! ! ip classless no ip http server ip pim bidir-enable ! line con 0 line aux 0 line vty 0 4 login ! end

Router#

--------

Thanks

Max

Reply to
max
Loading thread data ...

What happens when you do a 'show diag' and 'show ver'

Can you post the output.

Regards

Darren

Reply to
Darren Green

Hi, show diag does nothing, here is show ver...

------ Router#sh ver Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.2(5d), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Sat 02-Feb-02 03:36 by kellythw Image text-base: 0x80008088, data-base: 0x80989870

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [cmong 7r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 1 hour, 5 minutes System returned to ROM by power-on System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.122-5d.bin"

cisco 2600 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x100) with 94208K/4096K bytes of memory . Processor board ID JAE07470EHW (3515829974) M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2 Bridging software. X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

Configuration register is 0x2102

Router#

max

Reply to
dmc

hi, show diag produces no output here is show ver...

Router#sh ver Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.2(5d), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Sat 02-Feb-02 03:36 by kellythw Image text-base: 0x80008088, data-base: 0x80989870

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [cmong 7r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 1 hour, 5 minutes System returned to ROM by power-on System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.122-5d.bin"

cisco 2600 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x100) with 94208K/4096K bytes of memory . Processor board ID JAE07470EHW (3515829974) M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2 Bridging software. X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

Configuration register is 0x2102

Router#

thanks

Reply to
max

Truncated "show run" output can indicate that you are out of memory, as the device has to dynamically construct the output based upon its internal state.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Thanks Walter, so are you suggesting i increase the memory? The memory has not been touched on this router, and it worked fine before, why has it decided to stop working?

Thanks

Max

Reply to
max

First use "show memory" to determine if you -are- running low on memory. There's probably other reasons for interfaces not to show up.

Running low on memory can happen because of heavy traffic, especially "Denial of Service" attacks. Check the CPU usage and the interface traffic stats, especially if you've been monitoring them with MRTG.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

The router is being used only in a lab environment, it does not have high volumes of traffic. Also, it is not connected to the internet.

I have tried changing the memory with another 2621 and it made no difference.

Reply to
dmc

Normally IOS will see what interfaces are present at startup time, assuming you run a version which supports your hardware. If it sees unsupported hardware, IOS will usually not start at all or IOS (or the bootcode) will report unknown hardware.

Your IOS appearently sees no interfaces at all, which is not considered an error condition. Low memory can in extreme cases mean "sho run" will not produce any (!) output, but it will not cause your interfaces to disappear from the configuration. You probably will have lots of other problems in that case, but your interfaces will not go away.

If your 2621 worked before and now does not even see the onboard fixed interfaces it probably means there is a hardware problem. Just make sure the IOS loaded supports the 2621 and check the release notes for possible issues like needing a specific minimum bootrom version. To check at lowest level clear all config and start it in rommon, see if the fixed ports are usable from there.

luck,

Frans

Reply to
brink

make sure you have the correct type flash. in your 'show ver' it does not list flash. There should be a line underneath the line of "32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory" w/ the amount of flash the router has.

Is this a regular 2621? or is it a 2621xm? the 'show ver' above has dram of 96 and IIRC, 2621's max out at 64.

Reply to
ciscolist

Hi there, it is a 2621xm. I have removed some of the memory it is now

1. I swapped the flash from another 2600 and i was getting the line at the bottom of show ver "32Kbytes of non-volatile configuration memory" but still no interfaces are showing up.
Reply to
dmc

do show proc mem and find out which process is eating all your memory

More than likely you are running into a bug in IOS.

-------- Original Message --------

Reply to
Slarmas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.