Upgrading the Cisco IOS on Cisco router 3640.

I will need to upgrade the Cisco IOS on the above-mentioned Cisco router 3640 so that I can use it as a VPN gateway for a project. I already obtained the instructions involved from Cisco's website site. However, when I change the configuration register from 0x2102 to

0x2101 and reboot the router, the router does not go into RxBoot Mode. ie.router(boot)>. I have a Cisco router 2503 at home which uses the same Cisco IOS upgrade instructions as the Cisco router 3620 and when it is put into RxBoot mode, it displays this prompt i.e.router(boot)> were 'router' is the name of the router after changing the configuration register to 0x2101 and rebooting the router. The Cisco instructions also states that you cannot upgrade the Cisco IOS on the router in priviledged mode i.e.router#. Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Benchmark.

Reply to
benchmark
Loading thread data ...
  1. post the output of the command "dir all"

1. post the output of "show version"

Reply to
Merv

Hi Merv, Here is "dir all"

Router1#dir all Directory of nvram:/

28 -rw- 725 startup-config 29 ---- 5 private-config

30712 bytes total (29930 bytes free) Directory of system:/

12 drwx 0 its 2 dr-x 0 memory 1 -rw- 725 running-config 11 dr-x 0 vfiles

No space information available Directory of flash:/

1 -rw- 15075216 c3620-is-mz. 122-15.T5.bin

16252928 bytes total (1177648 bytes free)

Also here is sh ver

Router1#sh ver Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) 3600 Software (C3620-IS-M), Version 12.2(15)T5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

TAC Support:

formatting link
(c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Thu 12-Jun-03 03:15 by eaarmas Image text-base: 0x60008950, data-base: 0x61834000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(17)AA, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc

2)

Router1 uptime is 2 minutes System returned to ROM by power-on System image file is "flash:c3620-is-mz.122-15.T5.bin"

cisco 3620 (R4700) processor (revision 0x81) with 61440K/4096K bytes of memory. Processor board ID 07655183 R4700 CPU at 80Mhz, Implementation 33, Rev 1.0 Bridging software. X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) DRAM configuration is 32 bits wide with parity disabled. 29K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Thanks in advance, Benchmark.

Reply to
benchmark

I can see from the dir all that you do not have any PCMCIA flash cards in slot0 or slot1.

I would HIGHLY recommend you get one; even better two.

Otherwise you will need to delete the image that is in flash: in order to install new image as the flash memory is 16MB and your current image is just under that.

I am not a big fan of having to delete the production image from a router.

One of the things you should do is to make sure there is a backup copy of the curretn image ona TFTP server !!!

BTW what is the target image name that you are trying to load ?

Reply to
Merv

Hi Merv, Thanks for your prompt reply and suggestion. However, I do not need any PCMCIA cards. If you look at the sh ver output, the System Flash is System flash(Read/Write). Any router that has System Flash(Read/Write) is a run from RAM and should be able to be updated without changing the config register bits. I have already done this on my Cisco router 3620 at home in my CCNP and it worked fine. However, I found out this information in this forum after posting my message. Thanks anyway.

Benchmark.

Reply to
benchmark

Hi Merv, In the above message, CCNP should have been CCNP lab. Sorry for the typo. Benchmark.

Reply to
benchmark

Yes I am aware that system flash is read/write; I have upgraded flash- based images numerous times.

My personal preference is to make use of the PCMCIA capability as one can quickly fall back to a previous prodcution image if something goes wrong.

Be aware that installing any new image brings with it a chance of encountering bugs ( in some case quite a high chance).

With a PCMCIA card, all one has to do is change a boot command in the config and reload - something you might want to keep in mind...

Reply to
Merv

Hi Merv, Thanks again for your explanation. How do I go about using the PCMCIA cards in a Cisco 3640 router? Any information appreciated. Thanks, Benchmark.

Reply to
benchmark

install a PCMCIA card in say slot0.

copy a target IOS image to the flash image to slot0: (i.e copy tftp:///image-name slot0:image-name

config t boot system flash slot0:image-name end

wri mem

reload

to remove boot command:

config t boot system flash slot0:image-name end

Reply to
Merv

oops

to remove boot command:

config t no boot system flash slot0:image-name end

Reply to
Merv

Hi Merv, Thanks again. Benchmark.

Reply to
benchmark

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.