3600 boots always in rommon mode

Hello folks!

I upgrade my 3600 image (to 12.3(17b)) and now the router enters always in rommon mode after a reload command or power off-on.

I've got 2 solutions to boots up ok:

1) If I write "rommon> boot (+ Enter)" using Hyperterminal the router starts up OK, but 'show version' shows 'configuration register 0x0' (doesn't keep the register value I order it before reload)

2) Other solution to boots the image: rommon1>confreg boot: rom monitor console speed: 9600 . . rommon1> confreg 0x2102 rommon1> reset

And the router boots up OK. Now I write the next:

router# show ver . . Configuration register is 0x2102

router# sh runn | include boot boot-start-marker boot system flash c3620-is-mz.123-17b.bin boot-end-marker

router# dir flash: 1 -rw- 15789184 3620-is-mz.123-17b.bin

line con 0 is set up at speed 9600

But if I reload , the router enters int rommon mode again.

Any ideas? Do I have to setup anything else in rommon? Any misconfiguration?

Thanks, Charles.

Reply to
Charles de Lorena
Loading thread data ...

The names do NOT match:

boot system flash c3620-is-mz.123-17b.bin

1 -rw- 15789184 3620-is-mz.123-17b.bin

The filename in flash does not start with "c"

Reply to
Merv

thanks Merv, sorry, but it was a problem with 'cut&paste':

router#dir flash: Directory of flash:/

1 -rw- 15789184 c3620-is-mz.123-17b.bin

boot-start-marker boot system flash c3620-is-mz.123-17b.bin boot-end-marker

the names MATCH perfectly. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
Charles de Lorena

Try 12.3(19) to see if you get same result

Reply to
Merv

Just a shot in the dark.

Try changing the confreg from IOS when you get it IOS up.

adsl#sh ver ... Configuration register is 0x2102 ......

adsl# adsl# adsl#conf t Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z. tnatsis-adsl(config)#config-register 0x1234 tnatsis-adsl(config)#^Z tnatsis-adsl#sh ver .... Configuration register is 0x2102 (will be 0x214 at next reload) .... adsl#reload

I don't know what a confeg of 0x0 does, maybe that is not affecting anything.

Reply to
anybody43

Agreed. I've been bit by a 3845 that had a similar problem. Setting the config register from rommon did no good. I had to set in from the IOS (a couple times if memory serves) to fix my problem.

J
Reply to
routerstud

Try this:

boot system flash:c3620-is-mz.123-17b.bin

I got bit with the same thing on a 3700. Worked on that one.

Reply to
delgrundy

If problem continues, remove the boot system command and the router will try to booo the first image in flash

Reply to
Merv

Been reading 6500 documents. confreg 0x00 has a boot field of zero (last 3 bits) which will cause the device to remain in the ROM monitor.

Other reasons for remaining at ROM monitor include:- - Invalid software image - Corrupt config

So:- Boot router

conf t config-r 0x2102 end

wr

reload

There may be a variation between platforms in these regards and this is specifically for 6500, but worth a look.

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.